I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Monday, May 2, 2011

Hello Koha!

And Ziva, my first official post from my shiny red laptop. Although it's not actually all that shiny anymore. I've had it since like I don't even remember, like 2 years ago and all I've used it for is camp stuff. Forms, schedules, website, pictures, etc. Now I have all my files transferred over - music included, that took the longest - all that's left is to hook up my ipod and it will be official. Except it can only be synced to one computer at a time and if I switch it to here it deletes everything. Which is fine because I have everything on here now. But it like deletes my playlists too. Which bites, because I have a lot of them. I know, my life is so rough. *I can hear my sister's voice saying that to her dog...or cat...who's dumb as a post...* I'll figure it out.

Okay, first day with Koha, our new fancy system at work. Yeehaw? Well, so far we're only on its offline component since not everything has transitioned from the other system. So I got to spend the day staring at barcodes. No names, no titles, just barcodes. Oh, and I hit "enter" a lot. That was exciting.
Plus sent out the motherload of all explanation emails. But no one else was doing it. I mean, Superwoman set us up with some basic guidelines but then she left and all this other stuff came up. So I man-ed up. Or Woman-ed up. Let's go with that. Female solidarity and all that crap we say when we're playing softball. "Back up! Their women can hit!" my favorite quote from another team's pitcher.

Anyway, I basically came up with detailed instructions about what to do with all the stuff that was incoming to our branch and outgoing and all that while we can't check anything in or process any holds. Then sent it to the whole branch - but just the one, not all the staff at all the branches, that would be horrifying. I did that once about a missing item and am still spazzed out.
After all that joy I spent the rest of the afternoon in the backroom organizing the delivery, packing up donations and avoiding that dude that is trying to find a loophole on getting me to date him. Mentioned here: My Life in Closed Captions: This Magnet Moment... I don't date patrons! Well, not anymore. Just say no. That's what "big brother" coworker says. So I told him no, I don't date patrons. Now he's looking for a loophole. So, while he tries to find that, I'll continue to avoid him. Which is why this afternoon, after I separated all the delivery on to carts, I decided it was time to pack up the donations. And it worked!...until I ran out of tape. It was funny, because I really wanted to get through them all because we're going to need the space, so I scavenged the supply cabinets and found ducttape! But then I ran out of that too. Which sucked. So half the donations are boxed up and the rest are still on the shelf.
I had avoided him all afternoon until I ran out of tape - the second time - but as I was emailing Space Cadet, as she is in charge of supplies, I could see him coming to the desk out of the corner of my eye.
He comes to the side of the desk,
I get up,
go to the other desk,
open a drawer,
look for an imaginary object,
don't find one,
see him coming to that desk out of the corner of my eye,
also see Joe Studley approaching on my other side,
I turn around and head back to the original desk when I hear,
"Can I help you?" Not the person he was wanting to talk to but it'll do.
Aww, Joe Studley. My hero. He's the lead singer in our work band, btw - "Joe Studley and the Lost in Transit". Mentioned here: My Life in Closed Captions: Joe Studley and the Lost in Transit

Aside from barcodes, emails, delivery, donations and avoidance I don't think there was much else. Oh wait, I forgot. Barf chips and Face Aerobics. That pretty much sums up my day. Haha. I found the "barf chips", as someone had labeled the deodorizer stuff, when I was searching for tape - the first time - and the Face Aerobics was a VHS tape part of the donations. I didn't know there was such a thing as Face Aerobics. But apparently there were all the rage in the exercise scene. Back when VHS was still a viable format. I'm joking. I don't know anything about exercise trends. But I do own a bicycle. That counts right? Nevermind that it only has one wheel. Which is more of a long story. That I think I've told you already as well. My Life in Closed Captions: "Cause even after three text messages, four missed... Yep. Definitely told you before.
Crime-ony. Have I seriously been blogging since November? I'm going to run out of amusing anecdotes here soon. Next it will be all, "this one time, at the library..." That was my best American Pie impression.

I'm going to hit you with a music rec (or 2) before I crash and burn. Songs for the day, aka the ones blaring in my headphones while I boxed donations in the back, are older. Not like old but older.

Coldplay "Yellow"

and yes, second sister, i am currently singing jimmy fallon's troll doll lyrics.
I actually like Coldplay. I think this was their first major hit that put them on the board. Definitely worth listening to.

The Beatles "I Saw Her Standing There" performed live in '64

"How could I dance with her mother when I saw her standing there...." WHAT?! You mean those aren't the words?! Kidding. I sing it like that anyway, it's more amusing that way.


Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment