I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"Make a move, Reindeer Games."

Tonight is all about The Avengers.

Tomorrow I'll cover the season finales of The Voice and Castle.

If you don't want to know what happens THEN DON'T READ THIS.

Hit up "The Avengers" last night with The Boyfriend.

It was epic.

9/10 on the Scale of Awesome.

Comedy + Action = definitely going to see it again.

3D made it even better.

And it had Skywalker Sound. So you could literally close your eyes out of context and mistake it for Star Wars.

Lots of laser guns and space ships.

But it was a good mix of humor and action, not an over-abundance of humor to distract from the action, but lots of key moments and good one-liners.

Coulson: "I watched you while you were sleeping. I mean, I was present when you were unconscious... from the ice."


Coulson: "He's like a Stephen Hawking." *Captain America confused* "He's like a really smart person." 


I was proud of Coulson. He had a really central role to the movie which makes me want to read up on the history of the character. Especially since he was the one that really brought them together. But it's interesting to re-watch some of the prequels and see his cameos in each.

And I like that he turns all fangirls on Captain America with the trading cards.

Captain America: "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."


Chris Evans was great as Captain America. It's amusing to think that he's actually another superhero in the Marvel Universe as well since he was Johnny Storm in "Fantastic Four". Which wasn't as good as these last few Marvel movies, but still worth watching for any Marvel fan.

I read an article - recommended to me by the Awesome Aide - in Entertainment Weekly about the Avengers. The interviewer was with the entire cast while they were like eating and playing with their action figures and I think Joss or Chris Evans mentioned that this movie was supposed to take place only three weeks after Captain America: First Avenger.

So he's still in that old-fashioned soldier mentality, calling people ma'am and sir.

Hasn't been tainted by modern times.

Yet totally excited he understood the flying monkeys reference.

It's cute.

But manly.

So not cute, let's go with polite.

or Clean Cut.

How's that?

Cut to the trailer.



Iron Man: "Let's do a headcount. Your brother - the demigod - a super soldier - a living legend who lives up to the legend - a man with breathtaking anger management issues, a couple of master assassins, and you, big fella, have managed to piss off every single one of 'em."

Like I said.

Epic.

Robert Downey Jr. steals every scene he's in. I'm wondering how much of his lines were scripted and how many were ad-libbed. He's good with that.

Iron Man: "You have reached the life model decoy of Tony Stark, please leave a message." 
Coulson: "This is urgent." 
Iron Man: "Then leave it urgently." 

Iron Man: "Phil? Um, his first name is Agent." 

Iron Man: "Make a move, Reindeer Games."

Iron Man: "Please tell me nobody kissed me."

Iron Man: "You ever tried shawarma? ... I don't know what it is but I wanna try it." 

Was stoked to see Pepper Potts made an appearance.

Iron Man: "I'm going to pay for that comment about percentages in some subtle way later, aren't I?"
Pepper: "Not gonna be that subtle."

Iron Man: "I thought we were having a moment."
Pepper: "I was having twelve percent of a moment."

I love the two of them together, Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow.

Two of my favorite people, their bickering just works, you know?

Yep, I think Iron Man is my favorite out of the whole gang, and I owe that entirely to Robert Downey Jr.

Not that the other super heroes aren't great. Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff aka Black Widow comes in as a close second, but there's something about Downey Jr's snarky, compulsive, charming personality that gets to me.

Iron Man: "Doth mother know you wear-eth her drapes?"

I love the technology aspect of his character.

And I really want a Jarvis.

Iron Man: "Jarvis, you ever hear of the tale of Jonah?"
Jarvis: "Uh, I wouldn't consider him as a role model."

Actually there were a lot of, "I want one of those" moments.

Anyway, looking at superhero powers, you'd think I would want to be like Thor with the hammer and the lightning, or Captain America with the shield and super strength, right?

Nope, Iron Man is my favorite. Which is amusing because before the movies I knew absolutely nothing about him.

Or really any of the Avengers aside from Captain America.

And Thor.

But a different kind of Thor.

Whilst being pretty much the same kind of Thor.

Originally I was completely lost as to how he fit in with them as he's not exactly from earth.

But with this storyline it fits.

I was just sad that Natalie Portman couldn't make a cameo.

Oh well, I'll just have to stay tuned for Thor 2.

Chris Hemsworth was excellent as Thor.

Hulk: "That guy's brain is a bag full of cats. You can smell crazy on him."
...
Thor: "He's my brother."
Black Widow: "He killed 80 people in two days."
Thor: "He's adopted."

Definitely showed how he was right for the role. I read that it pretty much came down to him, his brother and some other dude. Though his brother did end up with "The Hunger Games" so I'm guessing it wasn't a total loss for him.

They look majorly alike, check this:


The one member of the Avengers that I wasn't really attached to that I'm still on the edge about is The Hulk.

I just don't get him.

I blame the past couple of movies.

They weren't great.

Though Mark Ruffalo did do a fantastic job with the character. Maybe they'll make a new one with him in it. According to John Boy they have to make a new movie with the heroes every so many years so the rights to the characters don't expire.

Anyway, with the Hulk it was mostly science stuff, but he brought out some good reaction one-liners.

Iron Man: "You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz? Bongo drums? Huge bag of weed?"

Worker: "You did scare the hell out of some pigeons though...Big and green and buckass nude."

Him punching Thor was a major highlight. Or his smashing of Loki.

Hulk: "Puny god."

Moving on to the lesser known characters.

Black Widow: "Like Budapest all over again." 
Hawkeye: "You and I remember Budapest very differently." 

I love Natasha Romanoff. Scarlett Johansson kicked some serious butt as Black Widow. And Jeremy Renner was so great, literally SO GREAT as Hawkeye. Their back and forth was fantastic.

They're really the only ones you don't know much about going in aside from Nick Fury. With Hawkeye you're a little wary at first, especially since he was going to shoot an arrow at Thor when he came back for his hammer, and then Loki turns him evil right at the start, but you're still rooting for him.

And with Black Widow as an assassin you wonder what her life had been life, before Stark Technologies.

Loved her opening with the interrogation whilst tied to a chair.

Reminded me of Dylan in Charlie's Angels.

Samuel L. Jackson was Nick Fury the ultimate spy with the eye patch and cool leather jacket.

Fury: "Ant. Boot." 

Iron Man: "How does Fury even see these?"
Agent Hill: "He turns."
Iron Man: "Exhausting."

I'm sorry, but whenever I see him in that eyepatch all I can think of is, "Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to exit the donut!"

I was really impressed with Tom Hiddleston as the bad guy.

Captain America: "What's the matter, scared of a little lightning?"
Loki: "I'm not overly fond of what follows."

They said that he hated that helmet, so he channeled his rage into his acting.

Worked wonders.

Loki is an excellent villain to fit with the storyline. I've been reading up on the mythology, cause I'm kind of a mythology nerd. He was always the trickster so it's interesting to interpret it this way.

For me, not surprisingly, the movie basically came down to the characters and their relationship with each other. Every good movie has to have characters that are able to go back and forth and that it be believable.

Captain America: "Are you nuts?"
Iron Man: "Jury's out." 

So I liked that they didn't get along right away cause if they did it wouldn't have been believable.

Loki: "I have an army." 
Iron Man: "We have a hulk." 

Iron Man: "I'm bringing the party to you." 
Black Widow: "I-I don't see how that's a party." 

Iron Man: "Better clench up, Legolas." 

Captain America: "And Hulk?" *turns* "Smash." 

It's the back and forth that makes the movie.

Loved the scene after the credits.

Complete silence but completely worth it to see them eating and the people in the background cleaning up.

Hilarious.

Looking forward to the sequel.

I mean, with a huge blockbuster like this you know it's coming.

Or leaving us with that ending is just mean.


Alright, all for tonight. Got a music rec for you, then I'm out.


"Say So" Allen Stone


listen to this one and not love it immediately. i dare you. impossible, it's fantastic.

to learn more about him watch this:





Coulson: "So that's what it does."


Iron Man: "...and then shawarma after."

No comments:

Post a Comment