I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Monday, May 21, 2012

Down on the corner, Out in the street

The problem with getting a new datebook is that you have to transcribe everything from the old datebook.

Well, I have to transcribe all the crap from my old book.

And there's a lot of crap to transcribe.

But I'm the kind of nerd that keeps notes on random stuff, like the regular stuff: this week I'll celebrate my second year working at my current branch and in my apartment,

....and then there's stuff like upcoming October 11th, 6 years ago, my college friends and I would play this game when we went places where we would count vehicles. We each had our own thing, Mustangs, bicycles, motocycles, etc. So on one occasion in particular Lindsay was kicking our ass cause she had bicycles and we were driving downtown Lincoln where they had all those bike racks. This is when we instituted the "it must be moving in order to count" so we pull up to this corner where this guy is sitting on his bike and Lindsay just can't wait to add another number to her total. But the dude is stuck at the crossing, so we of course have our windows down, and she decides to scream out, "6-6-6, Move! Move! Move!"

Which, if you didn't know she was counting six moving bicycles, you could really have taken that the wrong way.

Or how about this one, upcoming August 23rd, 5 years ago, Favorite sister-in-law and me are driving Dad's T-Bird back from Strang after eating some great burgers, when we're almost out of gas so we run to town to get some. But with the T-Bird, this thing is, the windows don't actually work so well...and it started to rain.

Then there was something about a liquor store in there somewhere, but that's a longer story.

October 4th, 3 years ago, triple to the fence. I was up to bat on church softball - this is after one of the other team's men had yelled out "back up their women can hit!" and my sister's ex was giving me crap, but we give it right back, me and my brother. Anyway, so pointed to him with the bat and told him it was coming to him, he yelled out whatever, so I hit it over his head. To the fence. And got a triple. Then he shutup. Also in the book are the two dates I slid on the gravel field and ended up with a pretty nasty scraped up leg.

It's actually amusing going through this old stuff, brings up some memories. In college I used to carry around these quote spiral notebooks in my back pocket everywhere I went, filled one per year.

Now it's just like a build-up of paper slips in my pocket.

Let me see if I can find something interesting...Flip to something random from '08.

Dr. Serck: "She covered it when we noticed I was carrying boxes that said, 'vodka'."

Basically, Serck is my 80-something year old Children's Lit professor, the one that invites me back to introduce authors like Dan Gutman and Gordon Korman at Plum Creek. Nicest lady ever, and apparently, after 20 years of teaching I was her first student who offered to help her clean up after class. It was a night class and she brought out like 80 books per session. She had this rolling cart so she could tote them back and forth between that and her pride and joy - the only professor to have their own library on campus, organized and everything. Along with the cart were these boxes covered in Snoopy wrapping paper. One student, I can't remember which, asked her one class period why her boxes had Snoopy wrapping paper on them. Her explanation was that she and her mother were carrying boxes of children's books across campus and she was getting weird looks. It wasn't until later that they noticed the boxes they were carrying the children's books in were labeled "vodka." So her mother covered it with any mother's fool-proof solution, Snoopy wrapping paper.

Sara: "When in doubt, pelvic thrust."

For my Shakespeare class with Thurber we were divided into groups to present plays that we'd gone over that year for a our final project. Our group was assigned Twelfth Night so we did a sort of Whose Line Is It Anyway kind of style, there was a E-True Shakespearian Story, the Dating Game, Malvolio the Crocodile Hunter, and Censored version. There's this scene that gets a little, um, gross so we decided that I would be the "Censored Seductress" and when it got to that part I'd put on earmuff and hold up a sign that said "Censored". When that happened they would just mouth the words and make their actions very bold. This line came into play when trying to remember where we were at in the script.

Tomorrow's Word of the Day: "Weesle a very rare, undeservedly obsolete word meaning 'to ooze'." Can't wait to use that one.

"Down On The Corner" Creedence Clearwater Revival



Alright, I'll give you more tomorrow. Sleeping in this morning was nice, but tomorrow it's a full day.

No comments:

Post a Comment