I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Thursday, May 3, 2012

"Sharkey walks the plank."

So I've made a decision.

Wait?

A decision all by myself?

Really?

I know.

It's huge for me.

And I know you're all on the edge of your seat.

So here we go.

It may be closer and cheaper, but I hate HyVee.

It's official.

I hate it there.

I don't usually hate people.

Or places.

I try to see the good in life.

I believe that things are basically good unless proven otherwise.

But this HyVee?

"Helpful smile in every aisle" my ass.

For serious.

You can't find anything there.

And there is no one around to give you directions.

Because it's mass hysteria.

There was a lot of four letter variety muttered under my breath.

Maybe it's just this store, maybe I should branch out and try another, but seriously, I've went in there twice and felt completely lost twice. So why would I even attempt to try another?

It gives me a completely different perspective on customer service and the roamer position.

Let's face it, the Dewey Decimal System is ridiculous.

As a former shelver I can tell you where things are, but that's only because I've lived in these libraries for almost two years.

Find me someone who's not a shelver who can explain how call numbers are chosen other than, well that's what OCLC says it should be.

What the crap is OCLC?

I mean, I know, but do you?

Where do your call numbers come from?

Did you know that Thomas Jefferson was originally involved in the organization process?

Basically it just came down to categories. But these categories go back to the dark ages and are constantly being added to.

I mean, who would have thought a hundred years ago that we would need an entire section dedicated to computers, or women athletes, or transgender, etc.

The concept of call numbers is important, but knowing them all is impossible.

This is when a great thing called a "catalog" comes into play.

And it hit me today whilst shopping.

Oh yeah, so I went shopping for Summer Reading stuff, that's how this all started. 3 stores and 4 hours later I had a majority of the items I was looking for.

We have catalogs in the library.

Grocery stores don't.

Neither does Walmart.

Or perhaps they do and just don't know how to use it.

I don't think I've appreciated roamers or catalogs more than I have today.

Good god.

And it's like the cheesiest thing in the world to say, but good god, thank the Lord for catalogs.

Seriously.

And roamers.

Cause we're awesome like that.

I could not find a single thing, and all I wanted to do was find a computer and LOOK IT UP! or find SOMEONE to help me.

You know how rich people have those personal shopper people? I want one of those to find the stuff for me. Or at least show me where to find things. That would be helpful.

Okay, this was weird and cheesy all at the same time.

But catalogs man, catalogs.

They rock.

And they should be everywhere.

Libraries are innovators man.

We rise above.

We take the improbable and make it possible.

We are all that and a bag of potato chips.

"Light another candle, Sister Regina, this dream is still alive."

I have no idea where this is going. Originally it was just going to be like a four page rant about how awful Hy-Vee is, and how spectacular Super Saver is.

And I told that to my SS checkout lady, she was proud.

Because Super Saver has it all.

And it's organized.

With big huge signs.

And they actually have people that can help you find things.

Plus they had candy corn out of season and I seriously had no clue where to find that.

Yes that was on my list along with a lot of other random stuff.

Plus 200 juice boxes.

Which I haven't gotten yet.

Cause do I get juice boxes or juice pouches?

Or does it matter?

And what brand?

And what flavor?

"What if they full-court press?"
"We go upside down. Oven mitts on. Center and forwards bring the ball up, Trish and Rosemary speed to go to the basket."
"What if they don't press."
"We put the winter clothes on."
"I don't know that one."
"It means it'll be a cold day in hell. She will never adjust."

I'll ask tomorrow, I don't need everything until the 8th anyway.

Plenty of time.

Tomorrow is all day again, then Saturday is our paperback processing party. Pizza included.

Basically a couple of month ago we took the kids to Barnes and Noble to pick out paperbacks they want to be added to the collection. Now we get to process them and get them circulating, woohoo!

"I'll be satisfied if you just use these activities to suppress their hormones."
"I'll try to add that to the playbook."

So I'm watching the Mighty Macs.

If you couldn't tell what the random quotes were from.

It's a good movie. Underdog basketball storyline.

True story about Cathy Rush and the Immaculata College women's basketball team.

But it's amusing because you know how, when you're watching something, you can see that the actors are genuinely friends? Like outside of work? And they're not just acting like they're friends?

In this one it's Carla Gugino and Marley Shelton. They have this handshake and attitude that can't be faked.

And it's true, Carla was cast, they couldn't find a co-star who fit the role, and she suggested Marley.

It's actually rather amusing to watch the Sugar and Spice criminal cheerleader play a nun. Who becomes the assistant basketball coach to Carla's character Cathy Rush.

And then there's David Boreanez, yes Booth, as her Ref husband.

"I think I'm allergic to dust."
"You would make an excellent husband."

It's both funny and inspiring.

Based on a true story, the original team have cameos as nuns.

And the coach as a bank teller, and her husband as a fan.

Apparently lack of fans meant lack of noise so the nuns would bang wooden spoons on empty buckets and they became known as the "bucket brigade".

Fantastic movie, you should check it out.

Alright, off to bed now.

I'd give you a music rec but I'm guess I would just keep rambling and you don't want that.

So, for tonight, I implore you to sing something. Mamas and the Papas "Dream a Little Dream of Me" perhaps.

OUT!





No comments:

Post a Comment