I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Happy Christmas, War is Over

Today was pretty much a rollercoaster ride.

It was an early morning, in an extremely overheated computer lab, so I felt sick and like I was going to pass out for a good chunk of the day. After lunch I was okay, just nervous for this afternoon.

This afternoon I met up with my uncle to talk about insurance stuff. Turns out, wasn't as hard as I'd thought it would be. And apparently, our insurance is awesome. This coming from an insurance man. So he would know. And he was fantastic, I went in clueless and he explained everything in words that I could actually understand. It's like a weight off my mind.

All I have to do is fill in the rest of the paperwork and I'm gold, huzzah!

I've started saying that a lot lately. It's either "do this and you're gold" or "you're golden". No idea why I'm bringing it back, I haven't said it since college. Maybe it's that gold star thing in my head again. In one of my sociology classes we had this assignment, it was in the syllabus but the professor had never brought it up in class. When we showed up that day, she asked if any of us had done it. I raised my hand, along with a select few and her response was, "Stars! Golden stars!" and that was it, we moved on. I think it was like a 2 page paper so it wasn't a big deal, but still. Amusing.

Apparently when I say things like that it makes me sound smart. I'm not smart. Well, I mean, not like genius smart, though a certain person claims to think I am just because I had/have a high GPA. But see, once you're in college and you're taking the upper level courses you know what you're doing and you know what the professors want so if you're able to BS - which is basically what English majors do for a living - then you're golden.

It's like Sensei once said, she wouldn't respect me if I couldn't ramble for a page.

Speaking of gold stars, I totally dropped my nametag three times on the way to work this morning, and of course that only happens when there are puddles everywhere. Didn't even realize the third time until Cabin Fever brought it to me during our computer training seminar thing.

So that was pretty much my day, got to talk to Grams for a while which was cool. She's always excited when I go and visit, and I get to see her again soon because our family pitch tournament is on the 23rd, woohoo! I'm picking her up and driving her over because the Cool Aunt has way too much on her plate for that night. AND though she rarely asks for help, she did in this case so I'm TAKING the invitation and RUNNING with it!

It's like trying to pay for food with my family. It's war. I paid for sushi last time, I was sneaky and left my debit card on the table for easy access when she brought the check. This time I don't even get the option because in the invite e-mail she specifically says she's buying and I have no choice in that matter. Geez. Flashbacks to when I was living with Grams. The two of them, when the check came, man they were devious. Plus, you throw in my mother along with them? It was highly amusing, and at that time in life I was broke so I went with it.

Alright, the countdown has began, and now that that whole alphabet fiasco or fun-tastic (or whatever you want to call it) is over, I figured I'd treat you guys to some excellent Christmas music. None of that crappy overplayed stuff...okay, well some, but these are the versions that aren't as crappy as the crappy ones that are constantly playing over and over. Not that classics are crappy. Cause, I mean, they're not. If they were total crap then they wouldn't be playing. And then they wouldn't be classics. And then I wouldn't know them. I'm getting rambly again, make it stop.

Okay, nutshell, Christmas Music until Christmas Day that isn't crap.

How's that? I'll call it:

Non-crappy Christmas Music: Day One.

That title is likely to change by Day Two.

Here we go.

Pat a Pan - Mannheim Steamroller

Nebraska Band of awesomeness. I grew up listening to their Christmas CD's on repeat around the holidays. This was my favorite, though it makes me sad every time. It's amazing how much emotion you can convey in a song with no words.

Auld Lange Syne - The Lonesome Travelers

yes i'm aware it's 2011. go with it. only video i could find of this version. it's fantastic if you take the time to listen to it. i could never play like that, ever.

Happy Christmas (War is Over) - Maroon 5

my sister is obsessive over this band, and now I understand why. they're fantastic. i had to buy a bunch of their stuff off itunes, i'm totally hooked.

I figured with this one it was good timing.
President Obama's Speech from CNN.com
"You have lived through the fires of war, and you will be remembered for it, and honored for it - always." -Obama 2011

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I've been remiss with comments lately. I guess sometimes there is just nothing you can say. I like the gold thing. I'm such an old poop that we never said that so I think adopting it in my dotage is a hip thing.

    I'm glad you posted the Maroon 5 song. I used to baby sit James Valentine, their lead guitarist and I played that for him once. Yes, babysitter to the stars!

    You know dropping your nametag may mean you have deep seated issues with work :-]

    Sensei

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you used to babysit an author too?

    Hmm...subliminal issues through nametag droppage, interesting.

    You're gold, Sensei.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I babysat Brandon Sanderson.

    ReplyDelete