I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

You suck at this game!

So I play this game on the drive home.

I drive the same route every night so you get to know traffic patterns and all that. Anyway, if I go a certain speed with no car in front of me I can hit every green light a split second before it turns yellow all the way to my apartment.

However, if there is a car in front of me I hit every red light.

Not one, all.

So of course there was this obnoxious car going under the speed limit and I can't pass them so we hit all the lights.

He sucks at that game.

Oh my god, so I'm watching Jennifer Lawrence on David Letterman, was I the only one who got her First Wives Club reference?

Has no one else seen that movie?

Did people think that she would actually insult Meryl Streep like that?

Seriously?

Bette Midler's character Brenda picks up an award that Goldie Hawn's character won and says something to the effect of, "look it says I beat Meryl!"

I bet I can find it.

HA!



LiLo blowing everything out of proportion. As always.

I'm sorry, tangent.

So, today was the scavenger hunt.

I spent the majority of the day FTFO.

Even this morning making changes and then the hour before realize that one of my clues was checked out so my wonderful Trainee found me a different book and wrote the clue.

But the kids seemed to like it.

Didn't think it was lame. Or at least that's what they said.

And they learned stuff.

Or seemed to.

I had fun making it, though it took like months on and off.

Gotta work with the off desk time all I can.

Anyway, so they paired off and I had 5 sets of clues - cause I didn't want them to just follow each other around the library. Each of the clues was based around the life of a Nebraska author featured in our in-house special library.

They started with microfilm and OF COURSE today of all days some dude decides to camp out on one of the machines and then the articles take a while to find plus the third machine takes forever to load and then neither of them print so I had some skip ahead to the next clues and then work their way around, whatever, after they showed me the article - instead of printing it off and bringing it to me - I gave them their next clue which was a call number to a biography which they had to locate which then led them to adult nonfiction then to adult fiction which then led them to finding information in a specific database - tied to their subject matter - that they had to show me and then after the database was the music section and then we all ended up on 3rd.

Meanwhile, on the backs of all these task/clues were bonus questions specifically about our library system. What are the full names of all the branches? (look for a business card at the desk) Who is ours named after and why? (ask a staff member) What year did we open? (look for a plaque outside the entrance) What animal is hanging in Youth services? What color is this person's portrait's frame? etc. etc. There were more but I'm rambling.

But they all got them right and they took the time to answer them and to go to all these places in the library and they did it without complaint so I'm proud of them.

Anyway, it ended with an awesome tour by our in-house special librarian. Who is excellent. And I'm pretty sure she gets cabin fever cause almost every day I see her fixing displays on first floor.

Love it.

But she had fun with it and the kids seemed to like it. Was a good refresher for me. Got my C-NAMES down.

Long story.

Anyway, that was pretty much all afternoon and really the only thing from the morning was training new staff to work over at one of the other branches. This time there's 3 new girls - one of which used to work at the work branch and is back. The other haven't worked at libraries before. All 3 are pretty awesome and said we hadn't scared them off and they are coming back again tomorrow so, job well done.

And that was my day.

So, on to the music. More of 2012's greatest hits

Starships - Pitch Perfect cast plus Youtubers

cause i think it's cool.


Scream & Shout - Will.i.am and Britney Spears

first of these greatest hits that i don't own. actually this is the first time i've heard the song all the way through. it's not bad, may buy it.

just such a random combination of artists.

We Are Young - Fun

at first was not such a fan of these guys, but they've grown on me. really like Some Nights.


Why yes Craig, it is a great day for America.

I miss this show.

Used to watch it every night for like years.

Literally years.

And LENA'S A GUEST!!

Totally DVR'ing this one.


Useless Information 

a la Craig Ferguson

The reason a vaccination is called a vaccination is because...

When they were searching for cures to smallpox they noticed that milk maids never got small pox, however they did get cow pox. And that little bit of cow pox kept the small pox away. Since the Latin word for cow is "Vacca" it led to "Vaccination".

and just cause i can...



and i'm out.


EDIT

Sorry, Lena's interview was hysterical and reminded me of how often I rewind it when guests swear and they put flags over their mouths and Craig yells something else and I found this great example so I'm adding it cause I think it's funny.



that's how i dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment