I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Thursday, January 10, 2013

more than just bricks and mortar

Big day.

Long day.

Big and long day.

Woke up at 6:30 for Thursday morning coffee with the Library Goddess.

I actually beat her to the coffee joint this morning which has only ever happened one other time.

But I was pretty sure hell was freezing over.

Something's going on with all this freakin' fog.

Driving back was ridiculous, couldn't see 10 feet in front of me.

Anyway, so this morning, met up with the Library Goddess for coffee - I had one there and then one to go plus a mountain dew once I got to work so I was pretty wired the rest of the day.

Which is good cause I didn't get back until 9:40 PM.

So morning coffee, had lunch with Slim Shady - our last official lunch together. We hit up this new joint, had some rice bowls it was great but half of mine is still in the fridge. Oh well, lunch for tomorrow.

If I remember it's there.

After that I was at the desk for like an hour before I had to take off for class but during that hour I got to hear all about the pros and cons of Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu Plus from the New Girl and BossLady so I've officially made up my mind and am going with Amazon Prime.

Makes the most sense since I use Amazon quite often.

And if I need it I'll throw in Netflix.

But apparently with Hulu Plus it doesn't always work on the smart blu ray players and a lot of the stuff you can only watch on your computer not your TV or tablet.

Lame.

Anyway, so after lunch headed up to class - met up with the Library Goddess in the parking lot cause she had to give me a parking permit so I could park in the staff lot.

This is after I had to call the Cool Aunt to try to track her down cause she doesn't answer her phone!

Nah, it worked and I got to stop by the Cool Aunt's office before the Library Goddess literally pulled me out and down the hall. We set up for class which she's team teaching with 2 other teachers - 1 I've met like once and the other is the Mad Clapper. That woman is the queen of clapping for serious, louder than anyone else on the planet, I swear.

Anyway, so we set up, I handed out the mandatory contact info slips and got to sort thru them after class. There are 15 people I'm in charge of but in the class there are 65 total.

Which is madness, I'm aware. But half of them are undergrads.

One way to tell the grads from the undergrads?

Seating placement.

We took up the back row.

Not just one of us.

All of us.

Jen jokingly said we'd "done our time in the front" which is true but highly amusing.

But we also know each other and sit together and with the way the undergrads were looking around I'm pretty sure they're still not too familiar with names yet.

You'll get there.

It's actually cool getting to know people cause you'll run into them in classes and conference and all that but the funny thing about being the GA is that people know you, even if you don't know them.

Like faces I can usually place and be like, I was in this class with you so your name is.... and then it hits me.

But they all know me, like I'm handing out those green sheets and they keep saying my name after the "thanks".

One of those, "just nod your head and smile" situations that SuperHumann always use to comment on in high school.

Anyway, a lot of fun Library Goddess-isms from tonight, a few are inappropriate but my favorite is a repeated line - I mean aside from the "this isn't a job it's a profession." - This one is "it's not just about bricks and mortar." then went on to say we could have state of the art million dollar libraries but it would mean nothing if we didn't have ties to the community and the patrons there-in.

We're more than our buildings.

Without outreach we die.

So class was fun. This one was Special Libraries in which we go all over the state visiting different specialized libraries.

Special libraries are basically - okay so there are three main types of library you've got the public library which is where I work, the academic library and then the special library like a military or medical or religious, etc.

But we get to go to the capital and see the secret passageways and all that. I'm stoked. Signed up for some fun sessions, actually there's one for the specialized music library at the work branch which I didn't sign up for cause I figured it was cheating as I walk through it every day.

Speaking of music I should post this and crash cause it's already way late and I have to work all day tomorrow as well.

More of 2012's greatest hits - country style

Pontoon - Little Big Town


music mentor loves this song. sang it all camp.


Fastest Girl In Town - Miranda Lambert


love this video. find it highly entertaining. no idea why.


We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - Taylor Swift


too catchy for its own good. loved kaley's comment on taylor being president. go here. awesomeness.

people's choice is probably my favorite - well tied with oscars - because there are so many awards all thrown at them at once and the speeches last like a 30 seconds max. plus the people i want to win actually win. like jennifer aniston and maroon 5 - "damn you swift" - and big bang theory and robert downey jr and ellen pompeo and hunger games and jennifer lawrence - loved her speech - and katy perry and taylor swift and NATHAN FILLION!! and adam sandler, chris colfer, lea michelle, etc.

It's just all fun and games.

Plus I really like Kaley.

From before Big Bang Theory, which people rarely say.

But I can, remember the Charmed obsession?

Oh yeah, she was in it.

Billie.

Final season.

Check it out.


yep, definitely blonde.

No comments:

Post a Comment