I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Sunday, January 6, 2013

but there's a side to you that i never knew, never knew...

Okay so, with the help of Info-Man and BossLady we've come up with an idea that could be completely EPIC for teens at the library.

See, he has this library friend who convinced her library people to hold like a golf @ your library thing where they set up holes around the stacks.

Which reminded me of this video that I had watched a while ago...



Wait, not that one.



Yes, that one.

Love the sand traps and water hazards.

Anyway, so I was thinking it would be fun for my TAB kids to do this around our library as an event for them, but then thought maybe we could make it a system-wide TAB thing where all of the different branches TAB kids could take part but then thought that would really limit our audience as well, so what about making it a Teen Summer Reading Program Event in which outsiders can partake?

The theme is "Dig Into Reading" and we're thinking more of golf than croquet, but either way I'm sure we could think up some sort of slogan to fit.

But the hosting teens could each design their own hole to match with what area of the library it's located in.

I'm thinking we could start up on 4th floor and have a couple holes, then they hit it in the elevator - don't worry they'd be those plastic golf balls, not the real ones that break glass - ride with it down to 2nd floor - skipping admin on 3rd cause pretty sure they wouldn't be fans - go through the biographies, the music library, around the reference collection and computer lab, then through the non-fiction and young adult areas, even some by the language and car repair manuals, taking them to the north staircase where they would hit it down the stairs and then going through the adult fiction and ending in the youth services department. 

All the while hitting their plastic golf ball into themed holes along the way.

Thoughts?

I had to ask my aides cause they always tell me if things are lame or not.

They're like my handy dandy lame-o-meter.

But they said it sounded cool.

I think it could be EPIC. Which is why I want to open it up to more than just my teens cause for that sort of thing it would be better to have a crowd.

But I need permission from so many levels first before I could even bring it up to my teens as a possibility.

And I have a meeting on Tuesday so I'm hoping it will spark and catch fire tomorrow and give me either a yes or no by 4:15 on Tuesday.

But we'll see, I'll keep you posted.

The problem with posting random clips from YouTube is that while you're on you're reminded of other clips you could watch.

Like these next ones...

I've had this scene stuck in my head all day cause I heard the song this morning before work and when you've seen the movie as many times as I have you can see the entire scene in your head when you listen to the song and when it's a Sunday at work and it's dead there's not much else going on in there.



Though I can't necessarily blame that completely on the date though, can I?

Anyway but then you search for that one and end up watching a bunch of the others...



OR! the little gucci dress...

I want a bus like that.

Though I don't know if I would trust MeatLoaf to drive it.



...and now I really need to log off YouTube or I'll never go to bed.

This movie is the reason I can't watch The Good Wife.

I just keep seeing him as Piers Cuthbertson-Smyth.

Okay, finding what I actually came here for.

More of 2012's Greatest Hits

Pretty sure there's going to be more than a week of these.

and speaking of epic...

Set Fire To The Rain - Adele

2012 was the year of adele.

hoping 2013's even bigger.

Domino - Jessie J

was originally resistant to this one as i didn't see the appeal but then heard adriana louise perform it during the blind auditions and that changed.

go here and you'll see. xtina won the four chair turn-around on that one.

What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction

ah, taylor swift. a girl for boys ages 18-35.

nah, these guys are actually pretty good.

It made for an interesting Sunday. One of the joys of having an ipad is that you can take it to work with you so you can add and drop classes with it on your breaks.

So, I emailed the Library Goddess last night cause I was freaking out about the classes I was going to take this semester. Special Libraries is gonna be awesome, there's no way I'm switching that one. I'm pumped and it's more of a go places than a read about places kind of thing.

Internet Reference I think is going to be very relevant and helpful and manageable, however when I heard that we needed to read 2 novel length books every week of the semester (aka January-May) for Reader's Advisory and combining that with the 2 other classes and their homework, plus work work, plus upcoming camp work, plus Summer Reading stuff, there was going to be no way that my brain would still be in one place by the end of the semester.

So I switched over to Diversity in Libraries which is taught by the same two professors that taught my Adult Services class last semester which I'm actually really nerdily - yes, nerdily - excited for because I learned A LOT about adult programming in that class by writing up program plans and researching all that. I took a lot away from that class and at the work branch our patron-base is completely diverse.

Not that the other branches don't have diverse patrons, but because of our location we have a bit more...

Anyway, I just think that that specific topic can really be helpful for my daily life at the work branch and may also teach me things that I can do with my TAB kids to kind of get them more involved with library outreach...

Did any of that make sense?

Are you catching what I'm throwing?

Do you hear me clucking, big chicken?

First time I said that to someone who wasn't my Oldest Sister he thought it was a drug reference.

My Delayed...Reaction partner.

No, it's not a drug reference, I'm calling you the big chicken.

I'm not clucking the big chicken.

Whatever the hell that means.

Let's not even go there.

Alright, it is far passed my bed time so I should sleep. That way I can enjoy sleeping in tomorrow as I don't have to be awake and coherent until I go in at 4PM.

who says you have to win to be awesome?



totally should have made it to the final three at least.


"don't forget the databases..."

1 comment:

  1. Ok, you definitely have to do the golf/croquet thing! This film was a stitich especially when they called in the Reference Librarian to help :-) I would try to get them to do it system-wide and also encourage participants to come up with golf or croquest related costumes. You definitely need to do the grey jacket thing and come up with a nerdy trophy. Well, I'm stoked-hope you can your teens to feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete