I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Rules of partial generality

Sounds like a new life motto.

Had my first Cataloging class today.

I went in knowing nothing.

And that's even after reading three chapters of the textbook before the class itself.

It reads like a math book.

Seriously, it's a bunch of code - which usually I can get from my tech stuff, but this is totally different code, nonsensical, obnoxious, repetitive but not repetitive kind of code that's going to drive me nuts for a semester.

The class itself wasn't all that bad. I went in thinking everything was going to be completely over my head, but the teachers explained it well enough that I took away a lot more than I went in with.

And okay, it's not like I'm completely clueless in this matter.

I stare at the catalog all day long at work, running countless searches and finding shortcuts through the new system.

I've run across all the MARC stuff, but I've never understood all the |'s and the $'s and the abc, etc.

Here's what I learned today.

245 10 $a Black Elk speaks : $b being the life story of a holy man of the Oglala Sioux / $c John G. Neihardt.

Yes it took me 3 and a half hours just to get that down. And it's probably horribly horribly wrong.

But that's just one of the lines. 245 is all about the title and statement of responsibility.

The 100 line comes first which has something to do with the author or illustrator or whoever.
245 is the main title
246 is another title thing
250 is about the edition
260 is the publisher and location

And I'm sure there are more than that but that's all we got through today.

It's like this big coded puzzle thing. It intrigues me yet has me shaking in my space boots at the same time.

The assignment don't look too difficult. Once I figure out the patterns I'll be alright.

Think I'm going to re-read those chapters again, now that I can semi-understand what they're talking about.

Other than the joy that is code I got to jam out with my carpool buddy. We kept each other awake...for the most part. No, we were up. And participated and all that. Her more than me. Cause she's smart like that.

We made snarky comments, talked family, baby names, blogs and all that. She gave me the title for this one. It was one of the many new phrases that will become my new vernacular until end of April.

I'm just glad I have people at work that I can get tips from. Especially the cataloger turned public service associate who I get to work with now on a daily basis. She cracks me up.

I have a feeling I will be overloading her with questions for the next few months.

Song of the night:

Because I'm feeling random.

"You're the Inspiration" Chicago

granted he's not Peter Cetera, but he's not bad as a replacement. and technically he's been a part of the band longer than Cetera ever was.

but if you like Cetera better you could go with this version

random, but okay.

cause it won't let me post the original video, you have to go here for that. Love the 80's style. You ever wonder what people will say about 2012 videos 20 years from now?

Alright, I'm off to get some much needed sleep.

I did pretty well today, considering I only got about 5 hours of sleep last night.

Something had me wired and I couldn't sleep. Nervous maybe. Watched NCIS Los Angeles for a while hoping it would put me to sleep, it actually just made it worse. Tried turning it off, didn't work was still in and out.

Tonight I can legitimately stay up and not worry about anything in the morning. Cause we're CLOSED! for the holiday. MLK ROCKS!

PS - Cool Aunt, couldn't get into your office as the main door to your area was locked. Will leave you two notes next time. If I can get in next time. Otherwise you're gonna have a stockpile buildup by the end of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment