I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Friday, October 19, 2012

NLA 2012 Day Two - Fake it 'til you make it

New life motto from BossLady but it's me through and through.

Fake it 'til you make it, like this morning waking up at 5:30 like I'm some sort of morning person.

Ha!

Pulled that one off.

And seemed all extroverted the entire conference so I'm calling it a victory.

It's amusing cause I'm like that at work too so people think it's my natural state.

Ha!

Right.

But I stayed awake all day on a single cup of coffee which was super impressive cause yesterday I had like three, though yesterday was much longer than today. Instead of a 6AM-9:45PM day like yesterday this morning I didn't leave until 6:30 and got back around 5ish.

I did get my picture taken with Darth Vader - myself, the Library Goddess and another classmate all did a group shot as well. We were loving it. And I took a picture of our Library Director Extraordinaire - aka Boss's Boss's Boss - with the Sheldon Cooper cutout which I will send to our IT department with her permission.

Though I do enjoy going around and taking pictures even if they did glare at me for walking in late and leaving early I did actually sit in on a few sessions today.

This morning I hit up the Google docs presentation with Slim Shady, then headed back to the booth for a couple rounds, and ate like 3 bagels somewhere between when I got there at 7:30 and noon.

Even though I didn't need to be there 'til 8, but I figured if I'd again run into traffic or run out of gas or lose a tire or something. You know, the stuff that happens on really big days when you need everything to go perfectly?

Anyway, so then there was lunch, they're spoiling us with all this good food now I gotta go back to real life. Gonna have to learn how to cook actual real food that's more than microwavable.

The afternoon I went to our Library Director Extraordinaire's presentation on the library's strategic plan for youth services. I figured since she's my boss and I work in youth services it might be a smart idea. I sat by the Authentically Amazing One and Only KB and one of the branch managers from LCL - represent! KB and I took some fun pictures, one of which is on Facebook already and I'll have to upload my stuff later. It was a "you look up i'll look down now make a face" kind of picture that's highly amusing.

Last session of the day was another fun one with Slim Shady - 2012 best young adult novels - lady from the Library Commission presented and I found it amusing cause the majority of her books on screen had LCL barcodes, woohoo!

Sometime before all that I helped the Library Goddess take down our booth stuff and we got to chat a bit. That woman knows everyone, good god. Except ONE PERSON! I got to introduce her to ONE of my colleagues and reveled in the moment when she came up blank. Anyway, I don't know how she got around the building cause people were stopping her every five feet. I think she got more hugs today than the average person gets in their lifetime and that's really a testament to her and how great a person she really is. I'm very grateful to have her to look up to and work with.

I can now say that about a lot more people after today as well. I got to jam out with some really cool people, some who I barely know their names, others who I talk to weekly and we still didn't even realize how much we have in common. But that happens when your classes are long distance and you only see each other once a month for a couple of hours and then go home. Moments like these are very helpful in that respect and you get to be in a room full of fellow nerds, who can ask for more really?

So I came home with my bag full of pens, t-shirts and posters. The thing about booths is that if you go around when everyone is tearing down they stick you with as much crap as they can so they don't have to pack it. So I got like 3 t-shirts today alone and a bunch of posters to hang up around the young adult area plus some sweet bookmarks as well. Oh and the Library Goddess shoved what was left of the candy into my pocket so now I've got like 10 jolly ranchers floating around somewhere as well.

Not sure what I'm going to do with everything. Lately I've been collecting pens - okay this is kind of a long story but I'll shorten it. Remember that I'm a nerd and I write stuff. Well, I attempt to write stuff - not this stuff, the blog doesn't count cause it's crap, did I write that outloud, my bad - anyway, I write stuff so I've started collecting pens and t-shirts, just anything with random designs or names or whatever cause I'll use them for ideas in my stories. Like you know you're blanking and you look at the writing utensil in your hand and see that it's from a funeral home, so you start writing that into your story, you know? Just random crap.

I did tell you I was a nerd.


For the music rec scroll down and listen to yesterday's cause it's still stuck in my head.

I'm out!

No comments:

Post a Comment