I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Friday, October 12, 2012

Don't turn around, uh-oh. Der Kommissar's in town, uh-oh.

Another one of those blah days.

Last night was all emotionally crazy so I figured if I slept it would be gone but for some reason it stuck with me so the majority of today was suck-ish as well.

But it had it's moments, and I'm fine now so don't go calling my mother on me. I talked to the boyfriend and Sketch, I'm good.

Interesting conversation with Sketch about my clumsiness and the possibility of wearing bubble wrap and going all TOWANDA! but we won't go there.

Anyway, one of the moments was the infamous "don't freak out" moment in which Superwoman had me present what I learned in the seminar thing from last week on H.A. and Margret Rey because we are inheriting a display on them for like a month and we need to know what we're talking about if people ask.

I think I talked about the seminar, BossLady stole my phone and googled a bunch of the French words in the pictures, sound familiar?

Maybe not.

Basically, last week we had this thing up on 4th about their history and a bit about the holocaust and all that and then what would be included in the display. And I got to re-explain it this afternoon to Queen of the Known Universe, the Reference Queen, the New Girl, and then one of - well they were both there - people who interviewed me for my job in the first place.

So no pressure.

Anyway, I forced Queen of the Known Universe to sit next to me for moral support, she was saddened because that meant she couldn't play with her phone during the presentation.

But she sucked it up for me and said it wasn't boring, but she could be lying who knows.

Anyway, I got through it - not with flying colors - but I talked and they listened and feigned interest so I'm calling it a win.

It's really a cool story though they're both German-born Jews who moved to Brazil and got citizenship there. He actually went out there first and she followed him cause she had a thing for him. They started a business together - she was big into photography and he could draw - then they got married. It was hot in Brazil so he bought this giant yellow hat and wore it places and while riding up and down the Amazon he saw monkeys in the trees and began to sketch them out.

So they were in Brazil but went to Paris for their honeymoon and ended up living there for 4 years until the war came. Then they evacuated but they did it at the same time as everyone else did so all the trains were gone. They were forced to go to this bike shop but the only bike left was a tandem bike. Apparently Margret was rather suck-ish at coordination with the tandem bike so H.A. bought bike parts and built two bikes. Anyway, they went from Paris to Spain to Portugal meanwhile everyone else is trying to get the heck out and they have an advantage because they were Brazilian citizens so they have Brazilian passports and Brazil was neutral during WW2 so while a lot of people were forced to stay for the duration of the war they were able to escape, basically by bicycle and then got on a train, slept in farmhouses and high school gyms and all that.

Along the way - since they were German-born and had German accents - people thought they were German spies but the officers - and train officials - that checked saw their sketches and realized that they were actually just children's books novelists so in a way Curious George saved them.

And PS Curious George was originally named Fifi.

Think if that would have stuck.

But then again, they were originally Hans Augusto Reyersbach and Margarete Waldstein so there was a bit of name changing going on with them as well.

Apparently Reyersbach was hard to pronounce in Brazil so they shorted it to H.A. and Margret Rey.

Anyway, so there was more in-depth rambling that happened this afternoon, but those are the highlights.

After work I picked up Squirt to drop her off at a football game, came back here and did some homework. Now I'll finish posting this and work on the paper again until I fall asleep.

Which will probably be in the next half an hour, and yes the time on this post is legitimate meaning I'll probably be out by 10:30. But to be fair I do have to leave the apartment tomorrow at like 6:30 to get to class by 8.

Which, according to Sketch, is normal for most people to be up that early but for me it is like crazy talk. Cause who wants to be up that early, really?

Crazy talk.

Alright, on to the music rec's and I'm back to writing about foreign students in a library setting.

huzzah.

Notice the lack of enthusiasm.

Perhaps I'll have more by tomorrow.

Alright, made it to the bottom of the list and threw in something extra just because I can.


Cassadee Pope


Trevin Hunte

Nicole Nelson

Aquile

Avery Wilson

Bryan Keith

Brandon Mahone

Michelle Brooks-Thompson

Adriana Louise

Collin Mcloughlin

Terisa Griffin

Suzanna Choffel

Nelly’s Echo – eliminated after first battle

Melanie Martinez

Gracia Harrison

Celica Westbrook

Mycle Wastman

Mackenzie Bourg

2Steel Girls – eliminated after first battle

Joe Kirkman



Before He Cheats - 2Steel Girls
i love their reaction once they figure out it's a duo. but you can't tell up until then cause their voices are so similar.

and of course they're eliminated already, but they got beat out by gracia harrison who is higher on my list so it's okay.

Gives You Hell - Joe Kirkland
was in a band and their lead singer bailed. after that their label dropped them as well. i don't know how he doesn't run out of breath out there, he was deep in it.

and just because i can...

Der Kommissar - After the Fire


No comments:

Post a Comment