I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

as refreshing as tangerine ice cream.

Here's my day in a nutshell:



They are rocks.

Tied together so they don't escape.

No, they're supposed to be decorative rock things that hang from our "Our Volunteers Rock" bulletin board.

Of which Superwoman and I created.

Sort of.

It's a cool idea, however, what people don't get is that I'm not crafty.

Never have been.

Like literally, I can MacGyver stuff with paperclips and quarters but I'm not arts and crafty.

Yes, I can write - no not the blog, the blog is fluff - but like visual representations of stuff like drawing and painting and sculpting I can't do.

It's just not my forte.

So being put in charge of a bulletin board is harder than one would think.

Superwoman came up with the design then put me in charge of hanging up the background while she went to cut out the letters.

Twenty minutes later - after I had stabbed myself twice and rambled loudly enough about my failures to attract someone up from Virtual Services to check on me and attempt to help - it still kept falling off.

I cut the paper long enough, but that was the only thing working in my favor.

The tape rebelled, the paper wasn't even, it was ripping at the sides, and it was super light so you could see the tape beneath.

And I was bleeding so I had to get bandaids.

Technically not my fault, someone left a pin attached the board so when I was smoothing down the paper my hand ran across it stabbing my finger.

Though I guess I can't say that about the second time - same pin, different finger.

So I came home with 3 bandaids - already having one on my thumb for the majority of the day.

Did I mention I'm not crafty?

And am a bit clumsy?

Anyway, so she came up and helped hang the paper and then we had these graphics that I had to staple to the bulletin board but like I said, I'm clumsy, and I'm sure the stapler has it out for me so none of them were stapled completely right, like the staples were crooked and barely in.

So then she put me in charge of the rocks. She gave me string and lots of rocks and told me to tie them together so I took them up with me to the lab - cause at that point it had taken longer than the scheduled hour to finish the display - so Queen of the Known Universe and I attempted to tie rocks to other rocks in a decorative manner.

As previously mentioned, my arts and crafts skills are lacking, and apparently QotKU is quite adept at wrapping packages and if you get that cross-ribbon approach down you'll be able to wrap rocks in a way that they'll stay in the string when you move on to the next one in the line.

For me, however, see I blame my bad present-wrapping on my cat cause he likes to lay on the wrapping paper whilst I am attempting to wrap, but really, I just suck.

Sh.

Anyway, so my rocks kept coming out of the strings so basically I think I tied like 2 rocks to each other and the rest QotKU finished.

They have yet to be hung.

I'm thinking that's going to be another challenge with this bulletin board as they are heavy and I don't think tape or staples will hold them for long.

Anyway, so this failed experience just reminded me of the last bulletin board I was put in charge of - this one was at the home branch back when we had a bulletin board instead of wiring stuff hanging from the ceiling.

But they were kids' artwork pieces and we were supposed to arrange them on the board and hang them up.

Behind the PACs which meant I had about a foot of space to work with.

Which would have been okay if my cat hadn't have bit me on the arm the night before.

He got the muscle so my entire arm was basically numb for the entire day.

So it was dead.

You should have seen it, not only am I behind the PACs with a dead arm, but I'm also on a step-stool so basically I used my dead arm to hold up the picture - well, leaned against the wall with it between my arm and the board. And then with my right hand I held the stapler and since I couldn't staple with my left it was like I basically took the stapler in my right hand and smashed it against the wall repeatedly until something stapled.

Loud, and ridiculous, but surprisingly effective!

So that was the highlight of my day.

I sat down for maybe like an hour total the whole day.

Lots of volunteers coming in and out and was constantly starting them on projects and then running supplies. And getting people new cards - big huge tour came through and half had fines to pay.

Oh and one of my favorite classmates stopped by, we talked for a bit about the joys of grad school.

It's cool to meet fellow Mizzou-ers that live in the area.

I know, it's like a personality disorder.

I was a lion, then a knight, then a bulldog and now I'm a tiger?

So that was my workday.

After which I came home, read more of Silver Linings Playbook, which I did during lunch and both of my breaks during the day.

Quote of the Day: 
Waitress to Tiffany after she swears up a storm: "Hey sister sailor-mouth" 

And then watched The Voice.

Here's my top twenty for season four including the changes:

Red = Adam
Green = Blake
Blue = Usher
Purple = Shakira


Judith Hill - Adam, defeated Karina
Jess Kellner - Usher, defeated Taylor
Midas Whale - Adam
Caroline Glaser - lost battle, stolen by Adam
Monique Abbadie - Shakira

Sasha Allen - lost battle, stolen by Shakira
Michelle Chamuel - Usher
Sarah Simmons - Adam
Christian Porter - Blake, eliminated during battles
Jessica Childress - Usher

Jeff Lewis - Usher, lost battle to Josiah
Jacqui Sandell - Blake
Karina Iglesius - lost in battle, stolen by Shakira
Holly Tucker - Blake, defeated Michelle
Garrett Gardner - Shakira, defeated J'Sun

Danielle Bradbery - Blake, defeated Caroline
Amber Carrington - Adam, defeated Sasha
Savannah Berry - Blake
Josiah Hawley - Usher, defeated Jeff
Audrey Karrasch - Usher, defeated Jamila


One epic battle really, the rest were alright. Not too surprising on who won.

Put Your Records On - Danielle Bradbery vs. Caroline Glaser


"but i want a big loaf of that..."

Okay, so I had Danielle on my top 20 but not high enough apparently.

She's crazy good and she's only 16.

It took me forever to figure it out, but it's Leanne Rimes!! That's who Danielle sounds like.

Drove me nuts for hours.

Granted I still like Caroline better (age 18) and I'm glad that Adam stole her.

and it amuses me that at the very end you can see adam holding his hand over the button ready to steal her.


No one wants to join Usher's team. Every time he tries to steal someone they go with the other coach.

But he's a hard ass, have you watched his coaching clips?

Kind of a jerk, don't blame them.

Plus Adam vs. Usher?

Seriously?

Gotta go with Adam, 24/7.

legitimate pre-midnight post, barely. holy crap tag in use.



and check this one: having fun during some downtime during their battle



No comments:

Post a Comment