I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Friday, March 1, 2013

you're my shooting star.

Oh Davies, what a day.

Yikes, haven't said that in a while.

Today was great.

Periodicals and new books in the morning, then some time to do supplies, worked the desk for a few hours, got a polish dog for lunch from the place I really need frequent flyer miles from (i go there basically every day, their entire staff knows me by name) watched Total Wipeout during lunch (yep, flew through the American then Canada then Australian ones, now I'm on Britain) and then the afternoon was the art show.

Huge success, had at least 50 people come in and check out the artwork whilst my TAB kids played music and directed traffic. Had one kid play piano, one played violin and the other two played clarinet. I was very impressed, especially by the eldest she really took charge when it came to playing and talking to people.

But then again all of my kids are awesome, I was just super proud of them today.

Tomorrow I'm sure I will be again - we're jamming out at the mall to celebrate Read Across America - aka Dr. Seuss's birthday - so we're doing some facepainting, handing out bookmarks, signing people up for cards, reading stories, etc.

Should be fun.

And that's all I've got for you because it is currently 2:40AM and I really need to be sleeping.

Stupid homework, I'm ready for graduation.

Was talking to Superwoman today who was like, "you'll have 2 doctors in the family when you get your PHD in Library Science." Think I literally laughed out loud. Told her I'd think about it after I get married which Queen of the Known Universe pointed out probably won't happen for another ten years - scroll down a post - so by the time hopefully she and the Library Goddess will forget about that idea.

Hey, inflation says I've got 5 years to get married. Oldest sister got married at 21, brother at 24, second sister at 27 so I've got 'til 30.

So even if it is just 5 years hopefully they'll have forgotten and moved on, cause there ain't no way I'm going back voluntarily AGAIN.

Once was enough. Even if I have flown through the program.

And gotten all A's except for that one A- ugh.

Nope, ain't happening. As much fun as it is - and I say that sincerely, I do love it - this is enough for me.

December and I'm done with homework eternally.

Please quote that to me in the future if I ever have thoughts about going back.

I'm counting on you to save me from the stress and frustration.

Cause I need sleep!!

So, music, fiction and I'm out.


Goodbye to You - Michelle Branch acoustic version


classic. she was great solo, but love her even more as The Wreckers with Jessica Harp. but you've already heard me ramble that tangent.


and then just cause i think it's funny...

Betty Glover's Library Workout Tape from 1987

"stamp, stamp!"

Do have to say the cutest thing today was seeing the 6 foot 5ish security guard walk hand in hand with a 2 year old to go play with toys in the youth services section.

Almost swooned, which is weird since I don't plan on having kids.

My mother hates it when I say that and his mother told us she wants 3.

Yeah, dropped that bomb about 3 months into the relationship so apparently she knew it would last before we did.

Moving on.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni - Part Four

I’m moving. They must have put me in the back of the pickup. I can feel the wind pass over me. Of course I can’t tell for sure since there is something over my head. My head hurts. I try to reach for it but my hands are tied behind my back. I sit up and kick out my legs. Something jumps. It must be the girl. I can hear her whimpering across from me.

“What happened?” I ask.

She sniffles. “They hit you from behind with your gun.”

That’s why my head feels like it’s going to explode. “Where are we?”

“I don’t know. They put something over my head. I can’t see.”

“Are you restrained?”

“Yes.”

The truck slows down as they turn onto a bumpy road. Back roads. Less people. Not a good sign. I try to pull against the ropes that are tying my hands. It hurts but the blood that it brings forth is worth it since it makes my hands slicker. I think I’ve almost got one hand free when the truck slows down and comes to a stop. I freeze and just listen. Rock music. Windows must be down. Doors open. Pause. Doors slam shut. Footsteps. Tailgate is opened. Then the truck slants as one of them gets in the back.

A hand grabs my arm and pulls me out of the back. I fall, not being able to get my footing in time. The taller man takes the bag off of my head. He smiles at me, his gold tooth shining in the moonlight. I look around and see a pond next to the blue pickup that drove us here. There are trees surrounding us on all sides. Private property maybe? They pull the girl out next. She falls beside me. They take off her hood and I can see the marks her tears have made on her cheeks. She doesn’t make a sound. Smart girl. You should never show fear to your enemy, but it doesn’t really matter, they’re going to kill us anyway.

“Get up,” he says, kicking me in the back. I use my hands tied behind me to push off the ground. I turn around expecting to see the girl doing the same but she hasn’t moved. He grabs her by the hair and pulls her around to the front of the truck. She whimpers but doesn’t scream… much. The headlights are on, shining toward a gap in the trees. She finally stands and he pushes her toward the gap. I stop, looking around for the German. Maybe I can make a run for it. I hear a gun cock behind me and feel it being pushed against the back of my head.

“Don’t even think about it,” says the German and kicks my leg, propelling me forward. I follow the taller man toward the gap and see uneven grass. Hills. Tiny hills. Graves. Not good. The German throws two shovels toward them and cuts the rope binding my hands. “Dig,” he says, pointing to a spot next to what looks like the most recent hill.

1 comment: