I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Friday, March 22, 2013

If your neighbor's not laughing explain that joke to him.

Ah inservice.

So, a lot of us were worried, because there was just one speaker like the whole day.

Normally we do breakout sessions so there's no time to get bored cause they're each like half an hour.

But with a guest speaker, and the same speaker all day, if they suck, then you're screwed.

Surprisingly, the chick rocked.

For serious.

And apparently, according to a branch manager, reminded her of me.

So perhaps that's why I thought she rocked.

But no, she was great, very funny, very engaging, didn't stand in the front and speak at us ever, she was always in the crowd walking through, cracking jokes.

And she definitely changed my perspective on poverty vs. middle class.

The short version is that in poverty what matters most is relationships while in middle class it's more about achievement. Once you understand that then you are better able to help people.

Sat with the Queen of Awesome, Mentor, Queen of the Known Universe, Music Librarian, Awesome Aide, Super Librarian Status and some other cool people. We jammed in the back, close to the food and the exit.

We had some killer snacks. I ate a lot of bagels with flavored cream cheese.

Went to lunch with the Queen of Awesome. Ate some barbecue, had a brisket, it was awesome. Fries and coleslaw. We finished early so we went back and played cards.

See, see what would happen if I cleaned out my car?

Again, usage of the board game box.

Take that everyone who keeps telling me to clean it out! That's like 3 times since camp.

So there.

Anyway, we played Go Fish and Old Maid - which she had never played before - she kicked my butt, beginner's luck. Then Queen of the Known Universe and I played Kings on the Corner. We left it tied 1-1 so next week it's gonna be on man.

Yet to be decided what the loser has to do. We'll think of something.

Some quotes of the day include one from Boss's Boss's Boss: "I get to follow hand sanitizer..."

and then the rest from our Guest Speaker:
-"If your neighbor's not laughing explain that joke to him."
-"We have disposable cars."
-"Thank you for cheering for that, people in Minnesota don't even cheer for that anymore." (about Vikings going to championship)
-"You don't call AAA, you call Uncle Ray!"
-"You might read a book! *mumbles* librarians...."
-"Middle class has made alcohol good for you, thank you! Exercise? No thanks, I've got red wine!"
-"What the? How the? Who the?"

But it was fun. Even though I had to leave the apartment at 7:15 in the AM.

And just got back at like 10:15 PM, but that's a longer story.

After inservice I headed out to Second Sister's house for Mom's birthday party. It was more like a Mom's/Abby's/Bek Kate's bash. They all got presents, as did I. More purple kitchen stuff from Second Sister. Man, was excited for those boots - see post here: Yippee-ki-yay! No, I like it, I will use them.

Was fun, even the boyfriend made it out. I got to play with the baby.

Who's not really a baby anymore.

I asked him if he wanted one of those, he claims he's too broke.

Then says we shouldn't have one because it would suck to be an only child so then he says we should have two and if we're gonna have two then we should have four and if we have four then we should have eight and when the number got to 64 I said I wasn't popping that many out cause I'm too queasy and then the conversation changed to me cringing at the Manchurian Candidate when he stabbed himself and pulled out the probe.

But that was gross!

Anyway, we jammed.

Ate some good food.

Joked about Dad turning 70 and what to do for his birthday in September.

-"A card shower?"
-"How about a surprise party?"
-"I don't know if you want to surprise a 70-year-old."

Was relaxing, but now I'm zonked.

So I'm gonna post this and then crash.

Big day tomorrow, Sketch and Edit's Excellent Adventure, take two.

Maybe - Sick Puppies

aaannd i'm out.

legitimate pre-midnight post. holy crap tag in use.

No comments:

Post a Comment