I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Forgetting all I'm lacking, completely and complete...

Homework.

Ugh.

3 hours later and we're still not done.

Ugh.

Even worse? We ended up with more questions than answers which made the homework bite the dust.

Ugh.

Oh well, it's not due for a while so we can come back to it. And she's cool so that's always good for a partner.

As of now I'm gonna eat chocolate, as that heals all, and go to bed.

Looking forward to tomorrow, gonna see Titanic with the boyfriend. Will probably be packed but whatever.

Other than the frustration that is homework today was good. Staff meeting in the morning - I felt like such a nerd cause this whole cataloging class has taught me a lot about our operating system and really how to search for things and what terminology to use.

So yes, I'm a nerd and we're supposed to share stuff with our coworkers but how can I explain without making me sound like a total nerd that you can search "Explosive 18" and "Explosive Eighteen" and get results either way because the cataloger included the 246 tag meaning it has the alternate title in the bibliographic record.

Or like if you type in an episodes title - depending on the cataloger - you'll be able to find the DVD because all the titles are listed in the added entries contents tag aka 505.

Or actors names/subject topics under added entry in the 600's.

But basically if you can't find something it's not necessarily the system that's not listing it just to tick you off, the system depends heavily on the cataloger and how much information was input.

Or copy-cataloged from OCLC.

Which I think is the easiest and most common way to add something to your catalog.

Anyway you can find all that in the bib record on the MARC option which shows you how many letters are skipped in order to be properly cataloged and where information is located on the book by using code.

Which I guess is irritating to people because they're about to switch over to RDA where everything i spelled out and easier to comprehend.

The only reason they use codes now is that it takes up less memory space.

And once you get the hang of them they're easy enough.

Nerdola.

Sorry, ramble-nation.

Yes a whole nation of rambling.

Can you imagine a whole nation of rambling?

We'd never get anything done!

I'm losing my mind.

This whole dewey decimal/added entry stuff is messing with my brain.

And I get to do a whole project on it and how to teach it to other people.

Which should be fun.

I'm rambling again.

What else today?

Yes, staff meeting, desk work, lunch, another meeting, more desk work, tomorrow will be more of the same, except without the meetings so I'm out.

"A Thousand Years" Christina Perri


"Hanging By a Moment" Lifehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment