I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"I've had marriages shorter than that story."

So I'm back to Just Shoot Me.

Sometimes you gotta go back to the classics.

Jack: "Muffins aren't breakfast they're cake in a doily!"

Same night as Friends and Will and Grace. Back when NBC dominated. Not so much anymore. Though it does have The Voice which has gotten my attention as of late.

If you don't know the premise this is it in a nutshell.

Maya Gallo (Laura San Giacomo) is broke. She was fired from her TV newsjob after making an anchorwoman cry by sabotaging her telepromter. In order to keep her apartment she is forced to talk to her father a rich businessman and owner of Blush Magazine.

He hires her and she basically is the only normal one in the bunch. You've got Jack the boss and her dad played by George Segal, Elliot (Enrico Colantoni) the photographer who sleeps with all the models, Finch (David Spade) Jack's personal assistant and professional womanizer then Nina Van Horn an middle-aged former model still fighting for the spotlight played by Wendie Malick.

Originally the show didn't have Finch, but the network said it was missing something so they went back, added him in, rewrote the script and added the new scenes in. David makes up a lot of the material himself so it was a good call.

Maya: This picture sends the wrong message.
Elliot: What message are you trying to send?
Maya: "My name is Maya Gallo, and I'm a professional."
Elliot: And this says?
Maya: "My name is Maya Gallo, and my naughty girlfriends and I are waiting for your calls."


At first the show was all about Maya adjusting and the others resenting her but by the end of first season she's in and they've bonded and it's more about complications or hijinks at work that turn comedic. Finch and Elliot pulling pranks on Nina.

The show ran from 1997-2003 when the network decided they needed to add a new character who was supposed to be this rising star. However this caused too much tension so they ended it. It was Rena Sofer who you probably know Colonel Bell's lawyer on NCIS.

Jack: [to Hannah, over the phone] Hi, Hannah. Daddy's going to sing a song about... his desk. Oh, markers and pencils and pens And keys to my Mercedes Benz A cup and an empty green bottle...
Nina barges in about something unrelated: Damnit, Jack!
Jack: Oh, look, it's a grumpy ex-model.


On the scale of awesome I rate it a 10/10. It's got a great cast and it's one of those shows that you know they really get along off set as well and that's been said by all of them in interviews.

The characters are well written and very different from each other, the writing is great, storylines are realistic for the most part as they work for a fashion magazine.

Nina: [looking at Maya's ID photo] This picture captures the real you.
Dennis: Yeah, someone should, for science.


This is when I first realized how great of an actress Wendie Malick is. She plays the snarky ex-model fighting to stay young, much like her current role on Hot in Cleveland.

It's funny that I gravitate to the bitch character. Nina. Sue Sylvestor, Karen Darling, the list goes on though they're all from comedies. I don't think I could handle a serious bitch, at least these are funny.

Elliot DiMauro about breast implants: Do you have a permit for those?
Nina Van Horn: Don't you just love'em? They say, "Here I am!"
Elliot DiMauro: Actually, they say, "Moo, I hope some frat guy doesn't tip me over."



my brother and i sing this.
it's 5 seconds you know you want to.

Maya: That's fired with a "ph" it's gangsta rap for "you're doing swell!"

Out for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment