I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wickham, you mischievous man, You plotted a mischievous plan...

Okay, so for class we have to do 2 activities to go along with one of our books and she gave us a list to choose from. I'm thinking poetry. We could write a poem about a character. But see, my poetry always has to rhyme. If it doesn't then even I don't understand it. And people try to interpret it - even the greatest poets say they just write stuff down to mess with people, it's a proven fact - anyway, it has to rhyme or I hate it. Most of the time I still hate it even if it does rhyme...

Anyway, my point is that I started drafting and all the sudden one of my college portfolios came flying back at me. It was basically the final project to end all projects. My senior year finale as it were. For British Lit 2, we had to do a portfolio on someone or something from that era so I chose to do mine on Jane Austen and in particular Pride and Prejudice. It was sweet, I made musical playlists, I made a boardgame - i'll upload a picture later - I rewrote a bunch of scenes and modernized them, I did a reader's digest condensed version..which by the time I finished it didn't seem as condensed as I planned.

But, one of the other things I did was write poetry about all the main characters. So, of course, for inspiration...and procrastination...I went back and found it buried in my college files. There are so many freaking folders on this computer, it's a mess. One of these days...you know when I'm actually free and have time...totally have to sort through it all. Cause I just uploaded everything from Kate and put it on the external drive then transferred it to Ziva but not like all at once, there were individual loads that were, whatever. My point is my harddrive is a mess and I need to sort it.

Long story short - too late - I found the freaking poetry and am going to post it because I find it amusing...well, some of them amusing. And if you haven't read the book then you probably won't understand - well, maybe if you've seen the movie but probably not - but give it a chance anyway.

Poems directed to the characters of Pride and Prejudice

To Mr. Darcy who seemed such an ass,
Only talking to you if you were of class.
You started off mean
Then turned, as it seems,
To all my expectations surpass.

To Miss Elizabeth Bennet,
Whose family started out in debt.
You fell in love with a jerk,
Which turned out to work,
And Mr. Collins you could forget.

Here’s to Bingley and Jane,
Who seem the only ones sane.
It starts with a dance,
Then just by chance,
Ends with love you can’t contain.

To the crazy mother,
One not easily mistaken for another,
With your mind on the money
Pull it together honey,
Darcy does not have a brother.

For Mr. Bennet the sage,
Who doesn’t attribute knowledge with age,
You think you know all,
‘Til in love with Darcy she falls,
Now he’s asking her hand to engage.

Lydia, what the hell were you thinking?
People will think you’ve been drinking.
You fell in love with a liar,
Who will light you on fire,
And find another lady who’s winking.

Lady Catherine you are such a witch,
Your master plan you did hitch.
You show up and yell,
And Elizabeth you tell,
Saying she’ll never be rich.

Wickham you mischievous man,
You plotted a mischievous plan.
But Lydia is over your head,
Soon you’ll wish you were dead,
Move on to the neighbor Joanne.

Mr. Collins you did propose,
With all of your ribbons and bows.
She said no,
Even though you have dough,
So then the neighbor you chose.

Charlotte you poor little thing,
To Collins you did cling.
You married a preacher,
Whose best feature
Is a sermon that lasts until spring.

Miss Bingley you’re a horrible girl,
Your hair on your fingers you twirl,
You lost him to her,
And now as it were,
Their lives you must watch unfurl.

I mostly enjoy the mother's and Lydia's and Wickham's. aww, memories. I should seriously upload a picture of that boardgame. It was the bomb-diggity, not really, but I thought it was sweet. I think that was my favorite assignment all through college - aside from basically everything we did in Fiction Writing class. I'm a bit of a nerd for writing, if you didn't figure that out already.

Okay, so aside from all that, I did write and post the final version of my teen interview paper, and I finished both books so all that's left is the wiki pages and the activities which I will finish tomorrow - I started on them I just need to finish them. Then, print everything off, pack it in my bag and I'll be ready for class on Saturday. Oh, and figure out my booktalk. I'm using "Revolution" by Jennifer Donnelly because I swear that book is earth-shattering, mind-changing, messes-with-your-brain-and-changes-your-view-on-life-for-the-duration-of-you-reading-it...then it's over and you're like, well crap. I probably shouldn't say that in my book talk. Just a thought. I'll work on that tomorrow when I'm shelving. I get a lot of ideas when I'm shelving. Then of course I forget them when I move to the other library, but still!...will have to write them on arm so I won't forget. Or the quote notebook in my back pocket. That would probably be smarter.

"Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not" Thompson Square

good melody and lyrics


"I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh."

out.

No comments:

Post a Comment