I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Monday, February 25, 2013

he's into me for everything i'm not according to you.

Ah Monday.

No, today was actually pretty good for a Monday.

So, remember how I took the teens to Barnes and Noble this weekend?

And how some are sad cause they're about to age out?

So I talked to my bosses today a possible series of programs aimed at young adults ages 18-24.

The problem with that age - I say as if I'm not a part of it, which as of a few days ago I'm not - is that they're too old to want to hang out with the teens at the teen programs and yet too young to want to spend the evening with the retirees at the adult programs.

Because of our proximity to the university it only makes sense that we at least test it out. And it's not like it would only be college kids, there are plenty of non-schooler kids that age.

So at the moment I'm coming up with an action plan including marketing strategies - aka specific demographics we can reach with specific programs. It's been interesting. So far some of my programs include: Game Night - board games, Wii, Movie Night, Poetry Slam, Pop-Culture Trivia Night, Repurposed Books Craft Projects, Guest speakers that are actually their age and can relate to about topics of interest, etc.

Any ideas send them my way. Right now I'm in contact with some kids who may be interested in attending some of these events.

But I'm excited, it's gonna be me and Girlscout and BossLady cause Girlscout is basically the head of adult services program planning and then BossLady who's my immediate supervisor is just very proactive. And they're both fun so it should be awesome.

After work Smo came over to stay the night - our Monday routine as she has class tomorrow morning.

What else? Oh Castle was awesome. I held off on watching last week's until tonight because of the to be continued. This way I could watch them both together. I love DVR. Watched that and 2 Broke Girls. Oh Mer Gerd - Han was hooked on memes.

Okay on to the music, I listened to Superhero by Cher Lloyd on repeat today but since I've already posted that you're getting some of this:

According To You - Orianthi acoustic


nice MJ jacket

According To You - Orianthi live


can't decide which one i like better so i'm posting them both - she rocks.

not sure how i haven't posted it before since it was my go-to song a couple years ago, i listened to it on repeat. it's a good jam song.


okay, you're not going to like me very much cause i'm leaving you hanging. i hate the ending so until i can fix it you get to be left in suspense with this as your last chapter. for now. after i fix it i'll post it.


Life of a Teenage Writer: Part Six

Sarah Chase Cameron’s blonde hair shone gold in the sunlight. Her green shirt contrasted nicely with the shiny red car she was leaning on. Charlie had made him wash it before the book launch party claiming, “Image is everything.” Sarah stood up straight when she saw him coming and adjusted her sunglasses. “Damnit Charlie, you’re so fired,” he mumbled, picking up his keys and looking around for spectators. Seeing none he headed toward his car.

“Hi there, A.J., how was school?” she asked in a tone that, if you hadn’t met her, would have sounded sweet and innocent. The problem was that he had met her, so he knew she was up to something.

“What are you doing here?” he asked flatly.

“Straight to the dirt, I like that,” she smiled. “Here’s the deal. I’ve been doing some research on your parents’ case.” She pulled her notebook out of her purse. “Lily and David Smith were killed at the gas station on the east side of Middlebrook. A man in a black ski mask was holding up the convenience station demanding cash from the owner, Martin Springer. David approached the gunman and tried to grab the gun but missed and was shot along with his wife, Lily.”

A.J. flinched and stared at his shoes. He really didn’t need this subject brought up yet again.

Sarah continued speaking, pretending not to notice A.J.’s reaction but mentally recording every detail so she could write it down later. “David was shot twice in the chest and Lily once in the head. Martin Springer was sent to the hospital with a concussion and the gunman got away with almost two hundred dollars in cash and some cigarettes.”

“What do you want from me?” he asked quietly.

“Just an interview. Your parents’ case is still open. With my help we could get the police to look over things again, bring in some new evidence, and interview some old witnesses. They might even find out who killed them. Don’t you want that?” A.J. continued to stare at his shoes. “Okay, here’s my card,” she said holding it in front of his face. He grabbed it reluctantly. “Give me a call when you’re ready,” she said walking back to her car.

“What if I don’t?” he asked.

She turned around. “Then I guess I’ll have to keep showing up. I hear you’re living with your grandmother now. It’d be great to interview her about her son and daughter-in-law,” Sarah said with a sly smile.

A.J. felt like his stomach exploded. “What do you want to know?” There was no way he was letting her anywhere near Grams.

Sarah looked like a kid at Christmas. She pulled out a pen. “Where were you when it happened? Did the police talk to you directly? Is this why you write crime novels? Have you talked to the police lately about any leads?” Sarah continued rambling in a speed that only other reporters could interpret until A.J. cut her off.

“Here’s what I know and what I don’t know.” Sarah stopped talking and nodded. A.J. took a deep breath. “I was nine, okay, and it sucked.” Sarah started scribbling notes in her notebook. “Grams tried explaining it but I couldn’t understand. How do you tell a kid that their parents are dead?” A.J. rocked back and forth on his heels. “I spent every night for a year sitting in my windowsill, waiting for them to come home before I realized that wasn’t going to happen.” Sarah stopped writing and looked up. “I moved in with Grams, but the stress of it all had some affects on her too. We don’t talk about it, not anymore. It was a long time ago and we’ve moved on.” A.J. left out the fact that he still went to visit them in the cemetery every week. “Please don’t dig up something that’s already six feet under.” He opened his car door and got in.

“Their story deserves to be told,” she tried.

“I tell it in every one of my books. You should try reading one some time.” He put the keys in the ignition and closed the door. He sped home, watching Sarah stare at him through his rearview mirror.



No comments:

Post a Comment