I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"cause Total Recall just screams birthday..."

What a day, for a birthday, seriously.

No actually it was great.

I debated taking off work but now I'm glad I went in.

Had multiple compliments about my work from patrons and kicked ass in the stats category so I'm good for the day.

Worked 9-6, but imagine my surprise when at about 12:50 who shows up but the Library Goddess?

Bringing me a gift certificate to my favorite coffee joint.

I was stoked.

Was good to get to talk with her, especially about class stuff for this week.

See, she's all about us being the post office. We have class no matter the weather. There could be balls of fire raining down on us, Armegeddon in the wings and we'd still have class so she's like in physical pain that on Thursday the special library that we're supposed to go visit is closing early due to future storm warnings.

Apparently we're in for the storm of the century though I don't know if I believe the hype.

Now watch I'll get snowed in again.

100 percent chance of snow. I don't think I've every seen 100 percent chance of any weather before this.

Technically we've been in a winter storm warning since this afternoon but it's not supposed to start snowing until tomorrow night.

But basically, everything in my life will revolve around the storm and its extent - work, class, the boyfriend, so really all I can do is wait.

Anyway, so the Library Goddess stopped by gave me a coffee card, got a card in the mail from the Cool Aunt with more coffee bucks, letter from the parentals with some cash - Second Sister sang twice once by herself and once with the kids.

Quote of the day:
"Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy Birth-you still there?"
"Yeah."
"-day dear..."

After work the boyfriend stopped by. We watched Total Recall - second sister made fun of me "cause Total Recall just screams birthday" but hey it sounded good at the time.


Collin Farrell, Jessica Biel, Kate Beckinsale and a bunch of robots. Scale of Awesome says about 6/10. I mean, it wasn't awesome but it wasn't awful. Bit weird at moments, but I enjoyed their hand phones.

Alright, music, family history part four and then I'm out.

Other Side - Sloan


yes, you heard it on Castle cause it's awesome.

Family History: Part Four

Francis James was born on April 25, 1911, to parents, Claude and Lillian. He was the oldest of five children. Grandpa went to high school in Geneva and then in O’Neill for his last two years where he graduated in 1929. During that time he lived in the boarding house run by Amolia’s parents. He and grandma courted for four years and were married.

Grandpa was a hard worker, always out early in the mornings to “beat the heat.” He was a big fan of playing baseball and cards. While grandma was more of a homebody, grandpa continued to play cards with the same group of friends until he moved to the nursing home. Then he would play with his friends there and with me and some of the kids from my school on our usual Heritage visits. We’d go over there and play games with the residents. I had a lot of fun playing pitch with grandpa.

He also used to go hunting. Grandpa was big on outdoor anything. He rode horses and even had his own boat for when they went fishing. He used to love to take us all out on the boat. My cousins would water-ski and I would help grandpa drive the boat. Grandma however, seemed to hate the water. It is said that grandpa went for all the camping, boating and fishing but grandma went for the conversation.

Grandpa had his own pond that he filled with fish. Every afternoon he’d ride his mower out to the pond with fish food. I went with him a lot and sat on his lap. Grandpa said the fish knew the sound of the mower because it meant food and he was right. The fish came right up to the edge every time we showed up. We stood on the side and threw pellets out into the water. My dad now takes care of the pond. He built a dock and tries every summer to get rid of the foliage surrounding and filling it.

Grandpa was a great man with no enemies. He and grandma were well respected throughout the area. He died my sophomore year of high school and it’s still weird to me to go to their house and see it all changed. My brother lives there now and only the outside remains the same.


It is uplifting for me to write about the lives of my grandparents. They were remarkable people. They survived the depression, the dust bowl, the death of two infant children, and celebrated 71 years together. A parcel of land was given to me and my siblings from them which has and is paying for all of our college educations. Most of all, their home was a center of activity and love for my aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, siblings and me. A lot of memories were made there.

They lived more than ninety-years and yet again somehow it’s been reduced to only a few pages. It’s hard to summarize someone’s life, especially when it’s someone so close to you. They were a major part of my life and writing this brings it all back. I’ll never forget the card-playing, being grandpa’s little helper, sitting and talking with grandma, the chicken-noodle soup, the yellow tea pot, sitting on grandpa’s lap and watching television, and just generally being in their presence. They always made me feel at home, even when I wasn’t.


And that's all I got for that one which means tomorrow it's time for some fiction.

I'm thinking AJ.

Yep.

Going with AJ.

Legitimate pre-midnight post. Holy crap tag in use.

No comments:

Post a Comment