I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Sunday, February 26, 2012

"We were in Greece, we danced, I was gay, and we were happy. I probably fathered your only daughter..."

So, the Oscars.

2012, big year for movies.

And of course, out of the nine up for best picture I've seen only one: "The Help".

Though hopefully by the end of the week we can make that two, I just got "Moneyball" through the library.

But still, that's PITIFUL!

I'm a movies and media junkie!

This whole working 40 hours a week thing is seriously killing my consistent-movie-going habit.

In case you weren't following my Facebook updates - Sketch and I had a running commentary and I posted pretty much anything and everything that came to mind within those 3 hours, - Here are my highlights:

-Good Commercials:
-Is it just me or do the shows "GCB", "Scandal", and "Missing" look extremely good and funny? I enjoy Kristin Chenoweth and Kerry Washington so I'll be adding those to my DVR. Plus Ashley Judd as a badass CIA Agent? I'm intrigued.
PS - I was informed that GCB stands for "Good Christian Bitches" in case you were wondering as I was. The series itself is based off of a book - I'm sorry I'm a Library Service Associate get used to it - by Kim Gatlin. They titled the TV show "Good Christian Bitches" after the book, then changed it to "Good Christian Belles" and then changed it again to just "GCB".

-100 year Titanic sinking anniverary is coming up in April so I was excited to see they're bringing the movie back to theaters, in 3D no less, that should be interesting.

-I lost count of how many Ellen JCP commercials came on, but I laughed at all of them.

-You should thank yourself for being awesome, Jeff Bridges. He narrated a Hyundai Oscar-themed commercial, thanking people.

Funny Presenters:
-Billy Crystal is classic,
as always. I like that they included a clip from "When Harry Met Sally" in one of the montages. "I'll have what she's having." He always knew what to say when introducing the presenters, Natalie Portman included. "...and a murderous ballerina..." yes Billy, that's exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up.

-I really enjoyed the cheesy documentary commentary by Gwyneth and Robert Downey Jr., though I'm a big fan of each of them so having them reunited again was fantastic and I approve.

-How much leg does one really need to show while presenting an award for Best Adapted Screenplay? Really Angelina?
Though I did love IMMENSELY the Descendant's writer who did an impersonation of her stance. That was fantastic.
Maybe it's just because I'm Team Aniston. Even if I did enjoy "Mr. and Mrs. Smith". "Baby you couldn't find the button with both hands and a map."
Actually I like her much better with Justin Theroux anyway. SEAMUS!! "I'm gonna teach you and your friends about pain..."

I'm well aware you have no idea what I'm talking about, google it.

-Emma Stone's enthusiastic presentation and diss of Ben Stiller's past presentations. I remember the Avatar year, that was fantastic. Though what really made it great was when she started singing, invited Jonah Hill to dance with her and he totally turned her down. Burn.

-Sandra Bullock was glamorous as ever, but every time I saw her all I could think about was her on the Red Carpet talking to what's-her-name about the night being full of "sexy times" and then posing.

-Colin Firth's best actress addresses were fantastic.
"We were in Greece, we danced, I was gay, and we were happy. I probably fathered your only daughter..."
to Meryl Streep
and then
about how Michelle Williams inspired him to be a better actor as he matured, "We can leave aside the fact that you were 12 and I was 35."

-Though my favorite highlight of the entire night has got to be the "Scorsese Shot" by Melissa McCarthy and Rose Byrne. Where they downed half a bottle of what looked like vodka. "Scorsese!!" It was ironic since Scuba Steve asked if there was some sort of Oscar's Drinking Game going on with our commentary just minutes before the shot happened.
Another thing I noticed with that one, I really enjoy when actor's speak and they have accents, but they're such good actors that you didn't know previously they had accents to begin with?! Like Rose Byrne, dude. I stopped typing when she spoke as it totally threw me off. Love it.

Miscellaneous:
-Don't you feel bad for that one acrobat that totally flew too far on that sitting in a circle and flipping around thing?
But it was good, the rest was pretty impressive.

-After posting about the "The Shore" taking home the live action short film category, I followed it with the comment "crabs crabs crabs" since there was a crab in the preview. It's kind of a family inside joke about my nephew being scared of crabs when he was younger.
Anyway, so I said
"crabs crabs crabs"
and Sketch followed with
"I picked that movie! I was going to say I got that one but that would be awkward after your comment..."

-Love that Bret McKenzie won for best original song, "Flight of the Conchords" rocks.

-Bring on the dramatic music. I was sad they didn't throw in more dramatic music to kick people off the stage early from their speeches. Not that many were super long, but this year it was more like they just cut the mikes instead. Bummer.
Speeches to me are always so awkward, especially when more than one person goes to make a speech for the same award. It's like is it over? Nope, here's another person. Stop the applause! Cut the music! They're still going!

-Loved!! Christopher Guest's gang doing the screening review, that was FANTASTIC! In case you're not aware (and severely culture-deprived) the group of people who were commenting on "The Wizard of Oz" are all part of Christopher Guest's crew of actors that he puts all together in many movies such as "Waiting for Guffman", "Best in Show", "A Mighty Wind" and "For Your Consideration", though they were missing primo members Jane Lynch and Parker Posey.


While I was surprised by the amount of victories by "Hugo", I was glad that "The Artist" totally dominated on the awards front. It deserves it for being a pioneer and old-fashioned at the same time.

Since "The Help" was really the only movie I've saw out of the many mentioned - aside from "HP-7B", "Bridesmaids", and the Swedish version of "TGWTDT" - I appreciated Octavia Spencer taking the Best Supporting Actress category.
I enjoyed her speech as well, "I'm sorry, I'm freakin' out!"

Aside from "The Artist" I'm also adding "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy", "Albert Nobbs", "Hugo", and "My Week With Marilyn" (all based on books), to my list of movies-to-see.

I really have no desire to see "The Descendants" as it sounds completely depressing, and while I'm sure their adapted screenplay was great I'm still confused as to why "The Help" wasn't in that category. As it's based off a novel...

Meryl Streep's win for Best Actress was well-deserved, especially after being nominated more than anyone else in the history of the Oscars.


Songs of the night:

Both Oscar-themed as the nominees were hoping both of these titles happened:

"Say My Name" Destiny's Child


from back before it was just beyonce...go here: My Life in Closed Captions: "What's a Bieber?" - extended clips and a world of... for my full-fledge ramble-nation on that topic.

yes, a ramble-nation.

"Have Mercy" The Judds live in 1986


love them. i'm impressed that wynonna is able to make hand gestures and play guitar all at the same time.


And that was the Oscars. Other than that today the day was pretty much an average Sunday, though they let Slim Shady and I work together for the majority of the day which is like apocalypse 13 cause they never let us work together.

After work I stopped by the home library to drop stuff off for the Queen of Awesome and talk to Space Cadet as I never get to see them anymore, let alone at the same time.

Finished my homework, sent it in, and now I'm off to bed. Get to sleep in tomorrow morning, I'm THRILLED! Then I'm meeting up with Slim Shady for lunch and a movie - gonna see "This Means War", woohoo! before going in to work for 2 hours.

2 comments:

  1. I stopped at the old lib homestead yesterday too. Both seasons of Downton Abbey came in and I totally blew Saturday and sunday afternoons by watching them. What a slug!

    Oscars. Loved Billy and I hope they have him again. Very disappointed there were no really weird dresses to dis. Where's Bjork when you need her? Happy about Meryl. Disappointed that The Artist got best picture. I was underwhelmed when I saw it. Thought there were better choices for best actor. And, I'm sorry, but I think JLo did have a wardrobe malfunction.

    My opinions in a nutshell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get you about the dresses, where were the big ugly bows or fake animals around their shoulders?

    ReplyDelete