I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I guess I'll go on home, it's late. There'll be tomorrow night, but wait...

Tonight's Tuesday Night Night-Shift Debate:

Who would win in a fight, a sea cow or a snow leopard?

Thoughts?

We decided on the sea cow. If the battle was fought underwater the snow leopard has no chance. And a snow leopard can't drag a sea cow to land to fight the battle because they're giant. Well, technically, they're extinct so they can't drag them anywhere.

This debate really went as far as that because we moved on to other useless trivia.

Other things I learned today:
-In 1865, in the war between Uruguay and Brazil, one of Uruguay's ships ran out of cannon balls so they fired chunks of stale Dutch cheese out of the cannons. One of them dismasted an enemy ship and killed two sailors.

-If you've ever had to haul a can of paint to the top of a water tower to defend your sister's honor you may be a redneck.

-People used a rhyme in the olden days to remind others to stay away from Oak trees in a lightning storm. "The oak brings the stroke." Apparently oak trees were thought to be highly conductive.

-It's lucky to spit in your hand before you pick up your bat. It's unlucky to share bats with someone else. ....and now totally gross if you play with superstitious people.


We Space Cadets are all about the useless trivia. And the patrons love it. When you get the two of us together we're always joking about the most random crap whether it be weird dreams, e-books, psychics, random phrases, my broken shoes, her children, my siblings - seriously anything is conversation-worthy.
And it's hilarious because we really have nothing in common whatsoever. I'm all about media, reading fiction and sleeping in - she's a nutrition major who watches nothing, reads historical nonfiction and wakes up every morning at like 4Am. Voluntarily. But when we're together we're always laughing about something. So it's fantastic.
This one night we had this older patron who I helped get signed up for an email account and the whole time she was like yelling and talking really loud and laughing and all that and I walked back to the desk laughing, because the chick was hysterical.

Me: That's gonna be me in 50 years.
SC: But you'll use your inside voice. Unless you're too deaf to hear it.
...
SC: My hearing at 70 will be your hearing at 30.

apparently my headphones are too loud. geez...mom.

But today was awesome. And I was productive so she was proud.

Shelved for four hours this morning, got groceries, ran into my adopted little sister who's moving to town - huzzah! - came back and cleaned my apartment room by room, hung up the rest of my posters, vacuumed, paid some bills, FINALLY got Dad's present. Every time I went to the office they weren't there, haha. But third time's a charm so now it's all wrapped and all that. Oh and got Castle season 3 and Bridesmaids. Totally stoked. But I still gotta finish this season of SVU even though it's not due 'til like October.

Songs of the night: Time-honored Tuesday

"Pretty Woman" Roy Orbison
always with those freaking sunglasses. love it.
this is a family favorite.

"You May Be Right" Billy Joel
more shades. love his hysteria in this video. fits the song perfectly. and the dancing...that's niiice.

Tomorrow I'm back at both branches, maybe I'll actually get to see Fearless Leader and Slim Shady. I catch glimpses of them every once in a while, I swear!

Out for some SVU and sleep.

"you may be right....i may be crazy....but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...."

No comments:

Post a Comment