I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Friday, September 2, 2011

Little Sisters and Winding Roads.

I should have known, when I started the day off sweeping up broken glass in the back room, that today was going to be crazy.

First off, I thought it was actually Saturday, until I showed up at work and was like, well crap. It's Friday. Not that Friday is bad.

"Hello Cleveland."
"It's Burbank."

It's just I was expecting it to be Saturday. Where I get off at noon. And go to my little sister's wedding. Instead I spent the day in public service - which I love - except for when you have to call the cops and someone ends up in handcuffs.

But I did get to see my friends. And tomorrow I will see even more. When I'm off at 12. And go to my little sister's wedding. Did I mention that it makes me feel really old that my little sister is getting married? Not to be confused with my baby sister. Or my adopted little sister. Yes, there are three of them. And yes, none of them are blood relatives.

I went to a dorm school. Boarding school. Whatever you wanna call it. And no, I'm not "one of those", you know the ones that get shipped off, it was voluntary. And I liked it. Most of it. Freshman year was hard. I was homesick for about a month straight. Okay, that's a lie. Two months. And that part sucked. But everything else was great. I got to live with my friends, got to go to a great school, I had a blast. And I met some great people. One of them was my big sister.

You see, as a Freshman. Well, as a female freshman - pretty sure the guys didn't do this - you get adopted by a senior. They become your big sister. And they watch out for you. I was lucky enough to get two. A real and an adopted big sister. Which is funny, because technically I ended up with 2 reals and an adopted. Who just happened to be my boyfriend at the time's actual younger sister. But that's another story.

Moving on.

They watch out for you. And I was crazy homesick and they were great.

It was a small school. By the time I graduated there were only 25 in our class. And we were the biggest in the school. The class above us was short on kids and short on girls. So, when a new group of freshman girls came up, they were short on big sisters. I was Junior and the dorm mom's approached me about being a big sister. And I jumped at the chance. When I met her, she was one of the shyest girls. And she was homesick. Which is why I was asked to step in. So I did. And I think I did okay.

For Christmas one year she did this 12 days of christmas from a secret admirer thing. I got like a necklace and...sunchips - which didn't last long between me and my roommate - and some pictures and all that. She was fantastic. And I love her. And tomorrow, she gets married.

Which is why I'm feeling super old. Plus my adopted little sister has a big girl job and is moving here. Huzzah for that!

As for the baby sister. She's good. Cute as ever. Promises she'll invite me to her wedding. Totally freaked me out, couple months back she changed her last name on Facebook and I probed her until she explained. Some sort of status thing.

Kids these days.

Geez.

Old.

"Everyday is a Winding Road" Sheryl Crow




So. Tomorrow. Big day. It's gonna be fun. Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment