I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Sunday, September 25, 2011

2 games, 2 amazing right-field catches, an injured leg, some ice cream and a cracked windshield later....

Dude. Battle of the Lutherans took center stage tonight. I've never seen 7 innings go by so fast. But there were so many 3 and outs it flew by. We both have really good defenses. And we lost. By one. Freaking 5 years in a row with that team, man. Not cool. Other Flavor Lutherans pull it off yet again.
Their old pastor called them that to me once and it stuck.

But it was fun so it was worth it.

Homey G and I teamed up with the E-Free at 6:30 so we were prepped and ready when our game rolled around. Which led to...

Quotes of the night:

Steider
- "You switching denominations tonight? What would God say?"
Me - "Oh, we're mercenaries, didn't they tell you?"
Steider - "Ohhhhh.....but now you're all warmed up!"
E-Free Pastor - "Don't listen to him, he's just used to dealing with cold bodies."
yep, that's right, their team captain runs the town's mortuary.

That's what I love about church softball, the variety of people that play. It's like one-stop shopping. Parents, farmers, teachers, pastors, nurses...funeral home directors...

E-Free Pastor - "They been singing that song more than 20 years and they still haven't found what they're looking for?"
Allen - "I guess that's why they call it the blues!"
E-Free Pastor - "Aw man, anything but Elton John!"
as he goes up to bat. joking about U2. I love their pastor. He's fantastic and hysterical. even stuck around to watch the battle of the Lutherans.

It's so crazy that we lost. Freaking other flavor Lutherans came back and won it. We were winning until they scored three in an inning and took over. After that was 3 and out over and over. That bites. But we'll get them next year. As I can pretty much guarantee you that even if we get the games extended this year they'll decide they have other things to do. They just like to remain undefeated. I probably would too.

But the game's over. I probably could have played a lot better defense-wise at least, I got on base every time at bat. And I got walked. I didn't know what to do with myself! See, with our team, we swing at anything. Because that's how we play. We don't believe in that whole watch the crappy pitch fly by thing. Prince of Peace is more about waiting for the right pitch. So they take a lot of walks. And the thing about walking is that if a pitcher walks a guy then the girl behind him gets an automatic walk as well. So he basically gets a double. Doesn't work that way with a girl though. You get walked you walk, that's it. I think it's to defer walking the men to strike out the women. Which makes sense. But totally bites when you've got a runner already on second and they get to score because of it.

We hit the ball. I'm bitter. I'm sorry.

I'm still debating walkup songs. I got a lot of songs stuck in peoples' heads tonight. Homey-G was like, oh no! Not that one! When I told Tein-lou-ene to "Come on, Eileen."

This might make for an interesting walkup song: Hit me baby one more time...

"Baby One More Time" Britney Spears

yeah yeah, talk your smack. then find me a person in america that can't identify this song by just the first three notes. that's a musical legend.

We had some great defensive plays tonight, a couple of amazing catches out in right field, one running back and reaching, another sprinting forward, both made by women, btw - and then the cracked windshield after a few foul balls... see, there's a reason why people park their cars way way far away. I'm one of them. My brother broke my parent's windshield once. When I was in the car. As a tiny little person. Would have been interesting to see his face after that!

I, of course, injured my leg yet again. I did slide but that wasn't what did it - I wore pants, don't yell Sketch. I was actually rounding third about to score when I turned wrong and pulled something. I'm not going to be very happy with myself tomorrow when attempting to shelve things.

After all that fun and games Homey G Wigger and me went to get some icecream with Liz and my mom. It was her turn to buy. I picked it up last week and I'll pick it up next week. Hopefully they'll give us an extended season so we'll get to play more games. I like the double-header thing actually. It's fun. Except next week E-Free is gonna have to recruit someone else's girls as we're going to be playing against them. Unless they want us on all-time offense or something. That'd be interesting....

Out for the night. Send me some ideas for walkup songs. Otherwise I'm just gonna end up with something random like EVERYBODY DANCE NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment