I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Walk west 'til your hat floats.

It's kind of like saying "take a long walk off a short pier" but better.

And apparently it's a song by The Henry's.

Though not available through YouTube or that would be the song of the day.

Pretty much sums up my day.

Received my first major assignment after getting my Master's.

They're writing a new Strategic Plan and have enlisted my help, along with a few other coworkers throughout the system.

Basically we're researching innovative libraries and then everyone is sending myself and Katie images and stories to put into a powerpoint to impress the stakeholders.

Powerpoints I can handle, I'm actually pretty good at making them.

It's the presentation part that scares the crap out of me.

Keyword: Stakeholders.

No pressure.

I hate public speaking.

I'm terrified about my upcoming booktalk in front of 20 old ladies, so you can only imagine how I feel about this one.

Thankfully I'll have people with me.

Oh well, plenty of time to freak about that. Let's think about something different.

Queen of the Known Universe and I talked life motto's today.

What is one simple phrase that sums up your life?

Like, if you were to write a memoir what would the title be?

I joked with the Reference Queen a while ago because every day she wears Birkenstocks so hers could be called "And I did it all in Birkenstocks."

One of my classmates, and now coworkers and I joked during class once about her working at a counseling center and she named hers "I Chase Naked People."

Through the years I've come up with quite a few and am still debating my best option.

Here are my choices so far:
-Black in the Crevices
-I'm just coloring in the chicken feathers
-Well, that's something to scrapbook
-Just wave
-Social life in progress...
-At least the baby stopped crying
-I’m just not hooked on your phonics
-That's a second Friends reference for those of you counting.
-Because everyone should have someone to scream at in a giant elephant.
-The Sideways Hat Theory
-I live my life behind the tab
and of course
-My Life in Closed Captions

Each has a story of its own.

Black in the Crevices is one of my favorites because it came purely by accident. Second Sister was getting me ready for my job interview, because apparently I couldn't be trusted to dress myself, and she said that my black nail polish was unprofessional or inappropriate or something so she attacked it with polish removal. Then she got mad because she couldn't get it all off. "There's still black in the crevices!" So I covered it with some silver. Because that's who I am. Still there, like the black, but hidden by the air of confident silver that enables me to do my job. How's that for psychology crap? Blame it on the Sociology minor. Took too many Behavioral Sciences classes in college. And, she may have been right, I did get that job. Well, jobs.

I'm just coloring in the chicken feathers was a Slim Shady reference. She was avoiding reacting to something by sitting and coloring a chicken and it made for a good life motto. Cause we do we do in life really that isn't just coloring in the chicken feathers?

That's something to scrapbook is another one of my favorites cause it makes me laugh. And that's its purpose. I say it when something horrible happens in an effort to get past it.

Just Wave was an Oldest Sister's invention. When she got caught riding on the back of some guy's motorcycle in high school after being told not to ride with him she decided that instead of hiding from Mom and Dad she would just wave instead.

Social life in progress... was a school theme. I attempted to be social while still being overloaded with homework and work work.

At least the baby stopped crying was a Homey-G-Wigger original. We went to see a movie - I think it was the last Harry Potter - and there was this baby there and it crying the entire time. And then we were sitting in the back toward the stairs to the balcony and there was a constant stampede of super loud people going up and down. So mid-stampede she leaned over and goes "at least the baby stopped crying."

I'm just not hooked on your phonics is a line from one of Ke$ha's lessen known songs, but I love it and say it repeatedly when surrounded by idiots.

That's a second (or third) Friends reference for those of you counting. When you're as big of a Friends nerd as I am you quote it constantly and catch on when other people quote it. But every once in a while you have to keep count because when you're on a roll you're on a roll.

Because everyone should have someone to scream at in a giant elephant is a Moulin Rouge reference. I was obsessed with that movie in high school and always wished I would one day have someone of my own to scream at in a giant elephant.

The Sideways Hat Theory and Living Life Behind the Tab are both Camp J references. The first is my tradition during registration. I wear my hat sideways and the parents with concerns walk straight past me cause I look like a junior counselor. It's all fun and dandy until they run into an adult who then redirects them back to me in the first place.

I Live My Life Behind the Tab is because we have these song books in binders and there is a tab between the sacred songs and the silly songs. And every once in a while in life it's better to be silly than serious.

My Life in Closed Captions is the title of this blog because it was fitting at the time, and it still seems to fit.

What do you think is best? I'm leaning towards Black in the Crevices, Life in Closed Captions, or That's Something to Scrapbook.

Hm....Maybe a combination of the three.

Perhaps this blog is just a big lead-in to me writing my memoirs. Though that would mean my life would need to be much more exciting so I would have stuff to include.

Though knowing me the format of my memoirs would be something close to Sketch and Edit's format where it's just dialogue. I'll have to work on that.

Song of the Day:

Say Something - A Great Big World & Xtina


i'm not sure how i haven't posted this yet, i love it. another life motto for you.

Alright, that's all I got for today. Off tomorrow - huzzah!! Gonna sleep in, clean, do some laundry, and hopefully see the boyfriend at some point.

Hope you all have rockstar weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment