I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

This is a week of my favorite things Day Three: Television

Despite spending the day surrounded by white walls and sterilized equiptment my day didn't totally suck. Bonus points for a fun family.
Quotes of the day:
Sarah: "You'd pick up a section of the couch and say, 'well, there's seven.'" My sister on cleaning her house and finding pacifiers

Mark: "I used to say 'Oh Pigeons' it's appropriate cause they're annoying as crap." My brother on swear words growing up

Mandy: "Stick him in the closet with a piece of cheese and a glass of water." My niece about her brother after he was being annoying

Mark: "We'll split the trains four ways, Carrie can have the beer mugs."
Sarah: "I want the Corve."
Me: "Can I have the Bird?"
Mark: "Yes, we'll flip you the Bird." Us jokingly dividing up the inheritance, Corve as in Corvette, Bird as in T-Bird.

Sarah: "Should we just move him into Heritage from here? I'm sure there's an open room." Joking about the nursing home, I won't say what my reply was but I will say Sarah was in tears from laughter.


Okay, so Day Three is all about TV. Even though the only thing I watched today was two minutes of Fox News once I found the station.
Because of work and school and a seldom social life I actually don't watch as much TV as I used to but I still have my favorites.

So, I'll start off with all-time favorites.
1. Women's Murder Club - the genius of James Patterson put on prime-time TV. But, due to the writer's strike and its poor timing it got cut off before it's prime. Luckily, there are still fans out there keeping it alive. Woohoo WMC day May 13th! Awesome kickbutt female cast of Angie Harmon, Paula Newsome, Laura Harris and newcomer Aubrey Dollar brought in comedy, intrigue, and just a kickass show that I wish was still running. My best friend has done character artwork and tattoos for me cause I'm that crazy, see first post. (1 season, 2007-2008)
2. Charmed - I know that sister-witches who vanquish demons doesn't sound all that great but when you add in actresses like Holly Marie Combs, Shannen Doherty and Alyssa Milano plus some comedy and major action you get kick-butt results. Even after Shannen got killed off Rose McGowan totally pulled it off. (8 seasons, 1998-2006)
3. Friends - this one is a classic without needing any explanation. Each character was unique, the writing was fantasic, and the story lines kept you intrigued and coming back for ten seasons. I'm such a nerd, again as told in the first post, quote a line and I'll tell you which episode it's from. (10 seasons, 1994-2004)
4. Just Shoot Me - As you can tell from a lot of my posts on TV I really root for the bitch character and I think it originated from this show. Wendie Malick as Nina Van Horn the take no prisoners fashion model just made me aware of how awesome it could be to be that mean and not even to care because you're still just that awesome. (Following her lead came Jane Lynch in Glee, Natalie Zea in Dirty Sexy Money, Megan Mullally in Will and Grace, Joanna Lumley from Absolutely Fabulous, Lauren Lane from The Nanny, more recently Mary McDonnell in The Closer, or Kyra Sedgwick who's always that way in The Closer, and my alltime hero Holly Hunter in Saving Grace) Back to JSM, even aside from Wendie Malick's character you get Dennis Finch aka David Spade the snarky office assistant, Enrico Colantoni as Elliot the ladies man photographer, George Segal as Jack Gallo the boss, and Laura San Giacomo (also in Saving Grace) who plays the main character, Maya, who is forced to work for her father at Blush Magazine when she goes broke. It's just fantastic. (7 seasons, 1997-2003)
5. Grey's Anatomy - This is the kind of primetime soap opera that builds careers. Had you heard of anyone besides Patrick Dempsey before 2005? Maybe Sandra Oh. But other than them, unless you are into cheesy romance flicks pre-Grey's that starred Katherine Heigl or paid really close attention in Daredevil to catch a glimpse of Ellen Pompeo then I'm gonna go with no. But now, you know all about them just because of this show and its popularity. The drama of ER plus the comedy of Friends gives you the best rated primetime soap opera still running. And yes, me and my friends do compare ourselves to its characters, get over it. (in it's 7th season, 2005-Now)

Favorites shows no longer running:
Will and Grace - great one-liners and an excellent comedy. it actually freaks me out to hear Megan Mullally talk in her actual voice
Absolutely Fabulous - amazing character dynamics, yay for British humor
What I Like About You - my favorite Amanda Bynes role, aside from She's the Man and All That (does anyone else remember that show?)
All That - the kids version of SNL basically, but from the 90's, Amanda Bynes, Nick Cannon and Kenan Thompson were major stars
Saving Grace - the badass detective Hanadarko, I wore random braids in my hair for a summer because of this show, yes i'm a nerd. I wish I was as much of a badass as Grace Hanadarko.
The Nanny - again, i'm a nerd. and it's hilarious. well, Niles and CC are funny, not so much Fran's voice.
Cashmere Mafia - bad timing with the writer's strike similar to WMC but it had potential
Boy Meets World - classic tgif, seasons 1-4 out on DVD now btw (shameless plug)
That 70's Show - another great comedy that built careers for multiple actors, Topher Grace, Ashton Kutcher, Mila Kunis, Donna Prepon
Gilmore Girls - fast talking family fun, so many pop culture references plus the awesomeness that is Lauren Graham
Firefly - a recent favorite that's so cheesy it's awesome. i love Nathan Fillion.
Charlie's Angels - the original series, I love the cheesy fake fighting and the mystery and just it's just too awesome for words. Plus they're remaking it and anything produced by Flower Films is amazing so I'm stoked!

Still running favorites:
Big Bang Theory - i love the different characters and how they just fit together plus the acting is great, (Kaley Cuoco was on Charmed in its last season) congrats to Jim Parsons for his Golden Globe!
Criminal Minds - okay, so i haven't watched it since they went all 'creative reasons' on AJ/JJ but it's still in my favorites list because of seasons 1-5 even though Prentiss wasn't around until season 2. she's seriously kickass. best character.
Warehouse 13 - another recent favorite that if you give a chance you'd really like too, claudia makes it worth it, she's kind of my idol.
NCIS - does this even need an introduction? Mark Harmon, Michael Weatherly, Pauley Perrette and characters like Ziva David and Tony DiNozzo? awesome.
Rizzoli and Isles - gotta say, I still see Sasha Alexander as Kate in NCIS but I can adjust to her as an ME. Plus add in Angie Harmon as a detective again...who i still see as Lindsay Boxer so to me this is just like a messed up show and even though in my mind it shouldn't make sense it's still something i find completely compelling. did you follow that?
Harry's Law - recent favorite, Kathy Bates is a badass.
Bones - i started this show in season three and immediately had to go back and netflix all of the first two seasons. they're excellent with the comedy and the drama - i don't even mind the gore and i'm the queesiest person you'll ever meet
Castle - Nathan Fillion + Stana Katic = awesome, plus i love the cop/writer aspect
The Closer - started watching this show in the first season and fell in love with the characters and the writing and the accents, hysterical. i'm so sad it's the last season. but they're talking spinoff, which only brings in more questions.
Glee - i love musicals. plus Jane Lynch. plus Lea Michelle. plus Chris Colfer. plus plus plus...
Burn Notice - another recent addiction, it's like comedy plus action, very similar to RED with the whole agent being burned and having to find out why.
Wipeout - I started this in the first season when it was just a summer thing. Grams and I watched every week and laughed so hard! I love the commentary and the big red balls. Hilarious.
World's Dumbest, I've already posted a clip from this. My Life in Closed Captions: Text if you make it to your apartment, call if you... I love it, it's where celebrities careers go to die but seriously, it's fantastic. Celebrities do commentary on these stupid clips that people send in and they make lists like the top 20 world's dumbest criminals or 20 world's dumbest brawlers or 20 world's dumbest commercials just that kind of stuff. It's fantastic.

Just a notice: I'll probably be adding on to these throughout the week as I remember more things cause I'm forgetful but mostly because I post these while I'm half asleep then feel like an idiot the next day because I've forgotten something important.
For example: more favorite artists MXPX after raving about them at Warped, Avril Lavigne cuz I'm a nerd for punk music, Spice Girls because yes I was from that generation and I still blast it when it comes up on my headphones. And Eminem who was my favorite rapper for like ever, plus I'm also discovering the genius that is She and Him aka Zooey Deschanel and her partner.
And Movies - Um hello, Harry Potter! Chasing Destiny - awesome Lauren Graham who should also be on my top actors list - because it was totally underrated yet hilarious, Holiday movies of How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original animated classic) and Hocus Pocus because Bette Midler is fantastic. Add in First Wives Club for also that reason. John Tucker Must Die I watched every day for like a year, but like more than once a day each of those days, add Brittany Snow to my actress list - have you seen her in Harry's Law?! Music and Lyrics the brilliance of Drew and Hugh Grant plus an awesome soundtrack. Never Been Kissed, another brilliant Drew movie, all of the Pirates trilogy that I might have mentioned Johnny Depp is a god amongst men. The Princess Bride is another classic along with the first two Rush Hour movies (the third wasn't as good) and um, hello, I'm a total Star Wars nerd. Like a Star Wars nerd seriously, who's such a nerd that she started a debate at work about Wars vs. Trek. I'm a Wars fan as are the rest of my siblings (except Sarah I'm sure I'll get the 'not me, just the rest of you losers' comment here soon). And the Zorro movies with Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta Jones were also fantastic. Another addition to the favorite actress list is Sasha Alexander. My laptop is named Kate for crime-ony! and now Rizzoli and Isles, I just really like her.

Seriously, don't know how I missed all of those, but they'll be added to the lists tonight.


Aaannnnd now that all the excitement is over...for now. I'm out for the night. Halfday at work tomorrow plus staff meeting then heading back to the white walls and sterilized equiptment.


Turn around bright eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment