I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Saturday, March 29, 2014

My librarian's spicy under-layer.

Damnit, I don't wanna cheer for Omaha!

I was informed today by Alicia Teaze - aka one of the managers of the awesomeness that is the No Coast Derby Girls who also happens to be a librarian at the university - that my favorite (well, everyone's favorite) skater Flash Gloria has transferred.

Not only did she transfer, but she transferred to the enemy.

Damnit.

All my favorite jammers leave...

First there was Busty St. Claire - she opened a flower shop.

Then it was Lt. Slamher - she went overseas for the army.

But I knew I could always rely on Flash because she was MVP every year and we were dominating so why would she ever leave?

Our record is like 59-17 for gods sake, WHY WOULD YOU LEAVE?!

It's giving me physical pain.

Damnit, I don't wanna cheer for Omaha!

I know this may seem over-dramatic to you, but it's really not. If you knew how big of a fan I am you'd understand.

Is it weird that my favorite sports are roller derby and ice hockey?

When did that happen?

I mean, I'm head over heels for Husker football, that's always been there and always will be, but when did roller derby and ice hockey beat out basketball and baseball?

And then the only sports I play anymore are softball and golf.

Though golf isn't really a sport and technically I only do it like twice a year so it doesn't count.

We're well-inebriated for most of it anyway.

Where was I?

So yeah, Flash is leaving. Left already, actually. There's a bout tonight but I couldn't stomach going.

Totally bummed out.

Damnit, I don't wanna cheer for Omaha!

Okay, distract me. What else was I gonna ramble about?

Oh, inservice!

Every year all of the libraries in our system shut down for a day and we have a staff training day we call Inservice.

This year's was at the hospital - which meant I got to jam out with Juwanna afterward, woohoo!

It was alright, not my favorite, but it had its moments.

Here are a few of my favorites:

"I know about your librarian's spicy under-layer....let your freak flag fly."

"Never underestimate the power of a slightly inappropriate book...Captain Underpants is my gateway drug."

"Think about how much time you spend managing your boobs." *all of the men's mouths drop after viewing a particular slide*

"Do anything to combat that stress?"
"I'm drinking more....running, drinking, not at the same time..."

"Banning? This happens at the library?!" *room erupts....no our patrons are all perfect angels*

Oh and we also learned that if you vary your clapping speed it makes it sound like there's more people in the audience. Apparently a tip our director picked up after attending many of her late husband's gigs.

Our table had fun. Basically the same group as last year. I sat between the Queen of Awesome and the Queen of the Known Universe.

Talk about feeling inadequate...they're queens and i'm like...not.

This year's focus was all about health and wellness - hence the hospital location. We talked about physical and a little bit of mental stuff and how our health affects how we deal with patrons so we should always be at our best, etc. etc.

A bunch of us went out for Mexican at lunch. Had a big table. We counted the vegetables so we didn't feel so bad about that whole day of health awareness thing. Does cactus count as a vegetable? What is cactus anyway?

After all the lectures and our director's speech I met up with Juwanna in the entryway - introduced her to a couple of the essentials, Queen of the Known Universe and Superwoman. They wanted all the dirt, but she's smarter than that cause I have dirt too.

Was cool to catch up, we're gonna have a girls night soon.

After that Queen of the Known Universe and I hit up Barnes and Noble. She had to pick up a movie and I had to buy Attachments.

Have I rambled about Attachments yet?

I'm pretty sure I have but you're gonna get it again.

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell.

It's about a dude who works in IT at basically the Omaha World Herald and it's his job to flag personal emails and people who are gambling and all that and he runs across this series of personal emails between these two women - Beth and Jennifer - and gets caught up in their story so he doesn't flag them. Then Beth starts talking about this hot guy at work and it turns out to be him so he joins a gym and all that. It's just hysterical.

Beth is me.

You roll your eyes but it's true.

She talks like me. She says stuff I've said and would say in situations. She acts like I do in situations. She's in love with a guy works the night shift. Etc.

I'm pretty sure Rainbow Rowell just followed me around a took notes. A fact that I tweeted her about and she favorited it!

So who knows, maybe she did. She is a local.

Nebraska Pride.

Anyway, I keep reading sections of it over and over cause I'm hooked.

But that's a problem with me, I get so hooked on fictional characters and once they're gone I get totally bummed out and need an immediate replacement.

Luckily I have a bunch of editing I can do to fix that.

I always get hooked on them.

BUT READ ATTACHMENTS. It's fantastic. And it's available at your local library so you don't even have to pay for it.

Alright, gonna skim through it again for the 100th time then get back to my editing and crash.

It's been a long weekend and it's only Saturday.

Songs of the Day:

I'm starting a new music segment called Why don't people know this song?

It will feature fantastic songs - probably made up mostly of indie music - that people should know but they don't know.

Here's a classic.

Stuck in the Middle With You - Dawn and Hawkes vs. Josh Murley


Originally by Stealers Wheel and featured in the Tarantino movie Reservoir Dogs but not nearly popular enough. Some describe it as Bob Dylan-ish but I love it.

BTW Dawn and Hawkes may win the battle but Josh does get stolen by Shakira.

Speaking of The Voice, my top twenty are still kickin' butt. Let's take a look.

Voice Top 20
Christina Grimmie - Adam
Bria Kelly - Usher
Sisaundra Lewis - Blake 
Dawn and Hawkes - Adam
Brothers Walker - Usher - eliminated in battles

Cierra Mickens - Shakira - lost to Emily, stolen by Usher
Clarissa Serna - Shakira 
Audra McLaughlin - Blake 
Cary Laine - Adam - eliminated in battles
TJ Wilkins - Usher 

Alaska and Madi - Blake - eliminated in battles
Delvin Choice - Adam 
Ddendyl - Shakira 
Sam Behymer - Adam 
Paula Deanda - Blake - eliminated in battles

Kaleigh Glanton - Blake 
Jake Worthington - Blake
Madilyn Paige - Usher
Emily B - Shakira 
Kat Perkins - Adam

Rockin' it.

Alright, here's another Song You Should Know and then I'm out.

Everything - Michael Buble


not as well known, but excellent melody and lyrics

No comments:

Post a Comment