I could write a blog. I have thoughts.

Life at the library, adventures with friends and other hysterics...

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

"The deaf guy's right, you are a nice lady."

Holy crap I hit the 100,000 view mark.

Should really start posting more, I don't feel like I've earned it.

But I'm on it!

Lots to post.

And more will follow, I promise.

No idea how I went from every day to like twice a month, that's madness, madness I tell you!

Let's start with the zombie apocalypse.

There's this new patron at work whom I have amusing conversations with when she comes in. She said she was thinking about the zombie apocalypse and who from her work she would choose to have on her team. She said probably no one would pick her to be on their team but it was her fantasy so she was automatically included.

It got me thinking about the zombie apocalypse and what would happen if I was stuck at the library when it began.

I think we'd have an awesome team. I mean, we're smart people.

And I don't say that to be an ass, most of us do have advanced degrees, granted none of them in killing zombies, but still, we have the smarts to learn how to.

And plenty of reading material on it - have you checked out the young adult area lately? Tons of books on surviving the zombie apocalypse.

And because we've got brains on our side we'll figure out how to set things like booby traps (you'd be surprised by what you'd find in our basement) and strategize for an endgame.

Because of our collection of books, DVDs, and CD's we have plenty of entertainment to last us years. Plus access to the internet and lots of comfortable seating areas.

But I ain't sleeping in the sick room bed. I'll sleep on the floor before I'll do that. And actually have, in the basement, in the periodical stacks. Set an alarm to wake myself 15 minutes later, huzzah for breaks.

Anyway, because of our location we have great proximity to both food and booze. And the Walgreens around the corner for extra supplies.

And we have a security guard with a carrying permit whose job it would be to not only guard the place, but take teams out to bring supplies back.

So we do have some muscle.

Plus it's a library so if we were open when it happened we'd be joined by people with a variety of different skills.

I'd want Wordie on my team. He's a badass.

The only problem with our locale is the glass windows. We'd have to do something about that. Board them up with old shelves I supposed. There's plenty of those in the basement.

Yes, these are the thoughts that we have at work. Anything to add comrades?

So there's that.

What else?

I've started eating lunch in the basement with the Queen of the Known Universe.

We find it amusing because we sit on the same side of the table and in front of us there's this big screen like we're waiting for a movie to start or something. Though she's usually reading or on her computer and I'm either playing hearts or sudoku on my ipod.

Oh, got a couple of Scale of Awesome's for you.

I finally saw The Matrix.



Well, I shouldn't say finally saw, I should say finally completed watching - I did see about 2 minutes of the beginning with my cousins before I fell asleep cause it was like 3AM when we started it back in the 90's.

I remembered none of it and asked the boyfriend a million questions as it went on.

Was totally grossed out by the pod scene, but the rest was pretty bitchin', giving this one a 9/10 on the Scale of Awesome.

We now have to watch the rest of the series. Luckily I gave him the trilogy on blu-ray for Christmas.

Also, on the opposite of the movie spectrum, though I guess not completely since this one did involve time travel so it was sort of sci-fi-ish but really not...you've got About Time.



Not as good, but really from the preview I wasn't expecting much. Scale of Awesome puts that one around 5/10. Had its moments, but they were few and far between.

Did I mention that Attachments by Rainbow Rowell is like an 11/10 on the Scale of Awesome? If you have no idea what I'm talking about scroll down, it's basically all I talked about in the last two entries. Did you hear her YA book Eleanor and Park is gonna be made into a movie?

I've started a new novel in an effort to give myself space from Beth, Jennifer and Lincoln, it's called The Martian by Andy Weir. About a man stranded on mars. It's funnier than it sounds. But I'm not far enough into it to give it a fair rating really so I'll skip that for now.

I'm also doing a ton of editing, which is always a 10/10, and why is it that whenever I watch something with an accent - even if it's just a clip - that for the next few hours I can only talk in that accent?

Like this entire post since that About Time clip has been written in a British accent.

I'm aware you don't see it that way, but perhaps now you'll read it that way.

Crimony. Moving on.

Life Size Game Day is coming up on Saturday so I finished my final preparations and actually went up to 4th to visualize it. I think I found a way for all three games to coexist. We're playing Candyland, Scrabble and Angry Birds. Gonna be an interesting afternoon. But only if people show up. Otherwise it'll be lame.

Apparently I have no life when the boyfriend gets sick because I went to bed at 9:30 last night. For serious, I woke up at 11:30 and went what the crap? It actually worked? And fell immediately back to sleep.

Oldest Sister would call me a panty-waste for going to bed that early so I'm pushing for at least 10 tonight.

Oh look, I've made it.

Thinking about turning on some Whose Line and crashing early again.

Last night it was the NC vs. Stanford game. Go trees. But UConn is gonna dominate.

Is that really their mascot, the tree? I guess I can't really talk cause I'm a Cornhusker fan.

To be fair we used to be the bug-eaters so it has slightly improved.



good change, a good...change.

Alright, and on to my new music segment called Why Don't People Know This?

or was it Songs You Should Know?

I can't remember.

Either way listen to these, they're fantastic.

Something Good Can Work - Two Door Cinema Club


yes i've posted that one before, just not recently.

You Are What You Love - Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins


another one i've posted frequently, but it's just so good!

one more and i'm out.

This last one is one of my favorite songs of all time. Like if I ever get married it will be played at my reception.

Reflecting Light - Sam Phillips


and yes that is the most-posted video on this blog so I'll switch it up, here she is performing it live at Borders Books.



go with that one to spice it up. yes, she is highly amusing and entertaining.

and that's all i got.

i hope you all are having rockstar weeks.


oh and if you're wondering about the title of this post - one of our regular patrons is a deaf gentleman. one day he needed quarters. as i do not know how to sign we had a lovely conversation on a slip of paper at the end of which he told me i was a nice lady. i took the slip and put it in the back of my nametag. the zombie apocalypse lady asked about said slip and i explained. on the way out she said that over her shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment